PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I'm scary close to being out of FVF, P&C is out as is the few other places I've checked. I thought I'd call the place I concider my local B&M, its local to my work and happens to be the same place the Dallas guys have been meeting. I just called and spoke to the guy behind the counter, polite as always told me "nope dont have it..you should really go to a website called smokingpipes.com".. :crazy: I know hes trying to be helpful, and I apreciate his honesty but it kinda struck me as odd.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I have thought this too. I've gone in looking for whatever and they tell me go online to find it, lol!
I figured I'd give them business, but whatever!

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Going to my local B&M tomorrow. He has added ODF and VCF thanks to me asking. Hopefully he can add even a tin of the FVF or SJF or god forbid penzance or stonehaven for me.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
They use to carry bullseye flake, but they were out last time and I asked..he actually told me to check a competitors shop across town

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I have actually had my B&M recommend another shop down the street. I took this as an honest gesture. The shop had what i wanted and went there for it. Made me trust my B&M more really.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
It sounds like he is contributing to his own demise, though it is nice of him to provide suggestions.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Chris I would kill to have a honest and knowledgeable B&M like that around here. I would also spend all I could to keep him open!

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
When I worked at a B&M there was a fella looking to get an Ashton pipe. One of the other B&Ms was having a trunk sale the following week with David Field and a slew of Ashton's so I told the fella he may want to hold off until then. We lost the sale but the customer was very pleased and in the end we gained a new regular customer. My boss would have killed me if she had known that but I think the bigger picture is what matters. Happy customers return.
One other time some fella was bugging me on who provided our bulk blends so I told him. The ass went up to my bosses at the Chicago show and told them about it and how he found it cheaper elsewhere. Got a talking too over that one.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
When I worked at a B&M there was a fella looking to get an Ashton pipe. One of the other B&Ms was having a trunk sale the following week with David Field and a slew of Ashton's so I told the fella he may want to hold off until then. We lost the sale but the customer was very pleased and in the end we gained a new regular customer. My boss would have killed me if she had known that but I think the bigger picture is what matters. Happy customers return.
That's very true. If someone at a B&M helped me out like that, I'd definitely come back. I stick to places with good service, and forget anyplace that lacks it. No matter what the prices are.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I agree with Gray. It is nice to be treated properly when you do business with a company. Proper respect to me is more important than the lowest price.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would never give my business to payless, they are gouging scum. 91 a pound for St James and 77 a pound for FVF. They are jacking it up because they know it is hard to find. I hate retailers who do that. Even worse is cup of Joes charging 97 a pound for most SG bulks plus 12 bucks for shipping. They are taking advantage of a shortage when tons of other tobacconists don't.
My local guy cannot sell me tobacco because of the state of Florida and the tax, it is too bad because he is a good guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.