PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent a lot of time last week and this week to round up some of the B&M in Central Jersey. Here are some of the info in case anyone would like to know.

A Little Taste of Cuba - Princeton

They specialize in Cigars however they do have a decent collection of Pipes and Pipe Tobacco. Expensive, but possibly not very expensive. Miyagi's Mindfulness is available here ($10 an ounce). Dunhill tins are $17. The tobacconist knows a lot about cigars, and enough about pipes to set up a new guy. Visited May - 2017 when I started pipe smoking

Don Francisco Cigars - East Brunswick

They also specialize in cigars, and only carry Sutliff bulk aromatics. The guy is decently knowledgeable on pipe tobaccos, but I have moved on, thanks to this forum and the online sponsors. No idea of price, but Sutliff Bulk is $4 an ounce, so making this the most reasonably priced I visited. Got a cheap Arturo Fuente Maduro Cigar - did not like it - but I do not smoke cigars for this very reason - the ones I like (Limited Edition Padrons) are extremely expensive. Visited - August - 2017

Cigar Den Inc - East Brunswick

They also speciallize in cigars, but a college kid mans the shop. They also only carry aromatics. The kid did not know what they carry, but was very very polite, very helpful. He took me to the back of the shop to show the pride of the shop - Lane 1-Q! Visited - August 2017

Tobacco King - Old Bridge

Another helpful guy, but they only carry the value blends (The ones which come in colorful big bags). He told me that he is building up his shop, took my phone no and promised to call me when he gets some Esoterica. Visited August 2017

Tobacco Leaf - Lawrenceville

Worst shop of the lot! They also specialize in cigars but do carry both bulk and tin tobacco. Dunhill tins are $20 making it the most expensive of the lot. Still, the cellar I built over last 4 months is larger than what they have. They get extremely poor feedback because not only they are the most expensive, they are also the most unhelpful. It seemed that the guy did not even want to make a sale. Visited August 2017

Frank's Cigars - Trenton

Another Cigar shop with a small selection of pipe tobacco. They carry Sutliff Aromatics in tin. The guy is helpful. However, after visiting 5 shops in 1 week, and not getting what I wanted, I did not spend much time there. Visited - August 2017

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Great roundup, thank you.
If you're willing to drive a bit further north definitely check out JR's in Whippany

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
NJ leads the US in taxes, if I recall correctly. A cigar is probably about $50, which is still cheaper than precious New Zealand at $110 an ounce.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good roundup. No Nat Sherman or Iwan Ries, but at least a pipe shop presence.

@mso There is no Nat Sherman or Iwan Ries near central Jersey. When I was not a pipe smoker, I used to work in downtown Manhattan, and to my best recollection there was a Nat Sherman which has shut down since. I do visit midtown Manhattan occasionally, but the Nat Sherman is probably a good 10 minute walk from where I park, but do plan to go some day.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Central Jersey is actually part of Ohio. South Jersey is a suburb of Philadelphia, but the far southern end extends well into Kentucky. North Jersey was founded as a landfill for NYC, although several million people are now living out their time in Purgatory there. Northwest Jersey is actually Pennsylvania, but with much higher taxes and a lot more rules and road signs.

Jun 27, 2016
Too bad Di Francos closed down, although I heard that it was bad after Di Franco Sr. passed away and (I think) his kid took it over. I knew about it even before I had started smoking pipes, and that it was one of the best places to go for pipes and pipe tobacco. Basically it was a converted house with a really big setback, and it was hidden behind another store. Tough to find if you didn't know it was there and happened to miss the sign. I had gone in there shortly before Sr. passed away to buy some dual-purpose tobacco and met him that one time, and went back in there again some time after he had gone, and you could tell that nothing was going on in there anymore.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
OTB taxes in New Jersey are only 30%, which is less than any surrounding states (MD/PA & NY).
Greentree Tobacco in Sewell used to be pretty decent, but it's been two years since I've been there.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/greentree-tobacco-sewell
JR Cigars in Whippany is on my travel route, so I stop there occasionally (fantastic lounge, decent tin selection). I guess Whippany would be considered Central NJ?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I thought Taxachusetts lead the parade for ever higher taxes....
And I think there are two tobacco shops in Princeton. At any rate, you can get some house blends for less than tin prices somewhere in that town.
And for NYC, a visit to Sherman's and Davidoff midtown and Barclay-Rex downtown are good bets. Forgedddabouddd Dunhill.

@jpmc - looking up the shops in midtown Manhattan is in my list, when I visit with some time to spare. The second tobacco shop in Princeton is not listed on the internet, but I will look again.
Also, if the second shop is the Lawrenceville one that I visited, that guy is extremely unhelpful and possibly the worst one I visited.

Jun 27, 2016
Not sure about a second shop in Princeton. There's another Little Taste across the bridge in PA. Driving around and parking is pretty bad in both of those towns, but I've been in the Princeton location and it is a proper shop, although geared more towards cigars. There's another Tobacco Leaf in Hamilton Square, and it's basically just as bad as the one in Lawrence. The Tobacco Leafs seem to be vape/head shops basically, and they have some cigars.

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
I used to live in Tom's River NJ. It was nice, not so much now. Had to move to Cecil county md for work 8 years ago. Now off to Florida. But it is nice to hear shops are still around in jersey. Now as far as shooting sports..... Not so much.

Jun 27, 2016
ssjones
JR Cigars in Whippany is on my travel route, so I stop there occasionally (fantastic lounge, decent tin selection). I guess Whippany would be considered Central NJ?
Al
That's North Jersey in my book. Anything north of 78. South of 195 is South Jersey. If you're in between them and too far east, then you're either "in the pines" or further east "down the shore", but it really depends on who you ask because you will get three specific answers to your question which are "Yes", "No", or "There is no Central Jersey (you moron)".

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
JR's is northern Jersey for sure, but if you're already wandering as far as East Brunswick the extra 45 minutes to get to Whippany is worth it to see what is far and away the largest b&m in the state.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
J&J Cigars is near Absecon NJ and I owe it to them for getting into pipes (from cigars).

https://www.google.com/search?q=tobacco%20shop%20in%20Absecon%20nj&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=39414692,-74517770,2361&tbm=lcl&rldimm=4400226296406338777&ved=0ahUKEwipgJCqgonWAhWni1QKHQQ8Dx8QvS4IUDAB&rldoc=1&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:10#lrd=0x89c0e61cbf293eeb:0xfc635401548df71b,1,&rlfi=hd:;si:18186472084942485275;mv:!1m3!1d48282.068086940046!2d-74.50848849999998!3d39.427873000000005!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i317!2i376!4f13.1
I use to buy cigars there as I was in the area frequently. When I was exploring a suggestion from my wife that I switch to the pipe, this was the first shop that I encountered. From memory, they had some store blends in jars and a few pipes in the cabinet. The attendant, told me that I would hate a pipe and he didn't recommend that I waste much money on one. He advised me to buy an cheap estate pipe (I had not yet heard that term) on Ebay and that would prove him right. I came home, bought a $20 pipe on Ebay and I think that I've smoked exactly two cigars since then. They did have a great humidor.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The attendant, told me that I would hate a pipe and he didn't recommend that I waste much money on one.
Ha! He goes down in history with the people who thought the automobile would never take off.
I liked NJ the last time I was there. However, people always talked about the taxes being insanely high. Glad it does not extend to tobacco.
The NZ guy who was discussing the $110/ounce cost of tobacco down there due to taxes really scared the heck out of me. It's insane that it can get that high.

Status
Not open for further replies.