PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Just visited a cigar shop/lounge to do some scrounging.
It was obvious that they aren’t restocking any pipe tobaccos.
They had 5 or 6 tins of various Mac Baren blends as well as 1 tin of Dunhill Aperitif.
I bought the Aperitif. Definitely worth browsing around these cigar stores.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's worth a look if you happen upon one of these. I resent that they often discourage pipe smoking, but I understand the revenue stream and the reason for that. They want to sell me a $12 cigar, not watch me puff on my pouch tobacco.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
Correct mso, it is about the revenue. Sadly, it does affect the pipe smokers. The b&m is there to make money to stay in business. Some places in the country have a great pipe section where it can be profitable. Here in New York state, a 2 oz tin is about $20 due to taxes. As a result, the places near me have dusty tins. As a shop owner, I don't want to invest in stock that isn't going to move quickly.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Basic retail fundamentals are foreign to most people who have never been in retail. Why don't they have that widget in stock. I want it. I don't care that they only sale one every two years.

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
My b&m owner told me he can get more of a certain brand of tobacco only if he carries the distributors lines of pipes. He can sell out the tins and bags (25.99/50) but he's not selling the pipes he already has.
Where in Michigan are you scrounging Redglow? Maybe I can help with tobacconists but I’m not telling where I fish ;-)

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Thanks Trudger. I’m in sales. So whenever I drive past a store and I have some time on my hands, I try to drop in and check for the rare diamond in the rough.
I’m over in the Bloomfield area today. But live over in Grosse Pointe

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
That’s my stomping grounds, west side. Churchill’s in B’ham carries SG product but only has 1792 left. The West Bloomfield shop is slim pickings with MB and some fresh Astleys. Never been to their shop on your side.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Yeah. It’s slim pickens at these places.
Probably wouldn’t hurt to start calling each one on the phone just to be more efficient

Status
Not open for further replies.