PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I quite like them. They are extremely lightweight, look cool (in my view), have a great hand feel, and in my view they allow for a cooler smoking pipe.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Usually, bamboo shanked pipes are very long. These bamboo shanked pipes are to long for me since they are often seven inches in length or longer. Another alternative is to get a briar simulated bamboo. I have a wonderful smoking Radice that has a beautiful about and inch and a half simulated bamboo shank.

Dec 24, 2012
Many carvers do incorporate bamboo shanks into smaller 5 inch to 5.5 inch pipes. Peter Heeschen being one example that comes to mind.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I don't have one yet but I would like one. I have heard that they smoke dry. When Bringham pipes was testing out what to make their filters out of the had it narrowed down to bamboo and rock maple. Bamboo was to big so rock maple won out.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I like them. Not only due I like the way they look but like Peck said they are usually extremely lightweight. I only own two so far but both are excellent smokers and both are straight pipes so being lightweight makes them very pleasurable to smoke. Both of mine are under 5.5 inches.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I used to have a nice GBD prince shape with a bamboo shank, which I now regret selling. I too like the looks of bamboo, but I have a question about it. Considering that it's used to make a pipe shank which is a fairly small part of the pipe, usually not more than 2-4 inches, why would it make that big a difference in the pipe weight? It can't be that much lighter than briar in that small amount, can it? Just curious, not being critical....

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I have a handful of bamboo shank cobs that vary in length from one in to seven inches. I personally love the look of both black and white bamboo.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I like them, I have three. They are my own make. One is probably 6 yrs old and the bamboo has colored beautifully They don't have to be churchwarden sized. One is a lovat, one a billiard and the third simply has a one knuckle piece that is half of the shank. They all smoke very well.
Mike S.

Aug 14, 2012
I have had a few. Sometimes there is a difficulty getting a cleaner through them. It depends on how careful the maker was. Generally I like the idea, though neither of my bamboos (or is it bambus) was worth keeping.

Dec 24, 2012
Let's show some. This Peter Klein is 5.75 inches and weighs 28g.

This Cheraponov is 6 inches and 26g:

This Grant Batson is 6.25 inches and 27g:

This Peter Heeschen is a shade over 5 inches:

Aug 1, 2012
Personally not a big fan of bamboo. Not a matter of smoking characteristics, just not fond of the look.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
As a pipemaker, I love them. Gives you a nice blend between different materials. My favorite, even though it's tougher to work with is black bamboo...

24nh66s.jpg

...and the regular bamboo ain't bad either...

2e5i3qw.jpg

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
Zack24, those are some magnifient pipes! Do you have a website I could look at?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like a variety of materials used in pipes -- wood bands, horn, metal bands. And I like the look of bamboo

shank pipes. Though 99 percent of my smoking is done around the house, not in company, I guess it doesn't

matter, but I feel my own smoking of a bamboo shank pipe would be a little showy. I want to smoke the pipe,

I don't want it to look like the pipe is smoking me, as if I have to live up to it. But these attitudes change. At

some point, a bamboo shank pipe might be just what I want. They do seem a little over-priced by-in-large.

Bamboo grows a mile a minute and is not a rare material, although there is extra work in incorporating it in

a pipe, I understand.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
They do seem a little over-priced by-in-large.
Make a beautiful pipe with a flawlessly fitted shank that flows into the bamboo, and manage to do it without sanding the bamboo itself. Then do it again on the other side with a stem.. Then tell me they're over priced :)

Also despite the abundance of bamboo in the world, very little of it is suitable for high end pipes. What you see on a pipe doesn't come from above ground, but is part of the root system. That is why you see such tight knuckles on these pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.