PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paranoidpiper

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2015
I've been seeing a few custom cobs with bamboo shanks. Maker is somebody named Riccardo Santia. He says 5 hours go into making each custom cob. My question is if I have access to bamboo would it be easy to make my own bamboo shank if I just have the time? What factors go in to making a bamboo shank? Are they better, the same, or just look cool?

I have a dozen bamboo shanked pipes in my collection, and I am still working on my own custom bamboo apple shaped pipe. I think it depends on whether you do a classy job similar similar to how Eltang does, with a ring around the top and bottom of the bamboo to prevent it from fraying and held tight to the inner stainless steel tubing. Or, if you just drill out a bamboo and shove it in there. Personally, the pipes I have that are made without the rings are starting to fray at the edges as they snag on things like sliding it in and out of my pocket. I have no interest in buying anymore without these little rings on them.
But, I will continue to collect bamboo pipes. They make me feel all Gilligan's Island-ish as I smoke them, ha ha. But, I will only collect ones that are done right. They do take time and cost a little more, but worth it to have something that will last, and just be destined for the fire pit as they come apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.