PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Why does adding a couple inches of bamboo to the shank seem to quadruple the price of a pipe?

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
It can sometimes raise the price, perhaps because it's not as easy to implement into a pipe? I haven't heard of any bamboo feature pipes having any better smoking quality, I do have a churchwarden bamboo shank, didn't cost any more for me, smokes well, but its very aesthetically pleasing!

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Finding the right piece of bamboo and integrating it into the overall flow of the pipe such that it becomes aesthetically pleasing (for example, having the distances between the "knuckles" of the bamboo be in a golden ratio with the length from acrylic stem to bowl), is extremely hard.
You could also ask: "Why does a little bit of red paint on a strip of canvas raise the price from 0.99$ to 3,5000,000$? Red paint surely isn't that expensive!". Well, because of the way the red paint was used: the blank canvas has become art.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Bamboo is a huge pain. It's brittle, the ends are delicate, and if you sand it you knock all the texture off the outside. So applying it to a pipe, getting the shank to match the bamboo shape, and getting the stem to match the shape on the other end, takes hours, and if you slip with a tool, it's all garbage.
So it costs.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Okay thanks for the clarifamications. I remember Eltang using bamboo back in the day and all of his pipes were expensive with or without. Now I see mediocre pipes at best with bamboo crammed into the scheme and the price just seems inflated to me. But... I have not seen too many of these in person to inspect the quality of craftsmanship which I will certainly do now that I know the challenges involved in making it "work".

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Sure, and not every bamboo pipe is done well, or worth 500 bucks, either. Sticking feathers in your ass does not make you a chicken, and putting a chunk of bamboo on a Stanwell shank doesn't make it an Eltang.
As usual, there are bargains and ripoffs, and one has to educate oneself about what he is looking at.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Hey Sas, would you consider Ascorti to be one of the bargains? Pretty nice how he incorporates the texture of the bamboo into the bit. And not a bad price...

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=H&srch=KW&item=ascasblb

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
ghu09a.JPG

Briarblues has this one and a bunch of Stanwell bamboos and a Dunhill.
I like that Ascorti. I think it is a good value and the bamboo flows well with the overall shape unlike some bamboos that often look too big for the stem/stummel they join.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
That Ascorti looks fine.... hard to see details in the picture, but it looks pretty good.
"Bargain" is totally relative, right? It's reasonably affordable compared to a Dunhill, but 50 times more than a cob.
In my limited experience with them, Ascortis seem to be pretty good pipes for the price.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Yah I have not heard much at all about Ascorti but it looks nice and the price is fair to me. Over at briarbid they have a Dr. Bob rusticated hawkbill in the same price range that caught my eye as well... Oh what fun it is to spend hours searching for the right pipe and not finding it. Then poof... There it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.