PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
I know it is not a pipe, but it seems to cost about as much as a pipe. Seeing as how I know next to nothing about it, yet I know people on this forum have dabbled in, with and about everything under the sun...I ask...Balsamic Vinegar...what is a good one and what the hell do you do with it? At the cost I am pretty sure one simply does not dump a cup of it in with some oil and toss it on a head of lettuce.

It adds an acidic peppery kick to meat sauces, and adds interest to some vegetable dishes, like potato salads with a mustard base, and splashed over steamed arugula. I will mix Serrano peppers with some tomatoes and then drizzle some balsamic vinegar over it and then add it latter to my turnip greens.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
There is a Pasta Bisiness named D'AGISTINO , hope the spelling is right they have been making their own pasta for over 30 years. They make a Balsmic vinegar that is very good and at a reasonable price, we have been using there vinegar and pasta for years. They have a website, you won't be sorry if you use them, They are located in Baton Rouge LA

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
There's enough great balsamic out there to meet every budget so theres no need to blow a mortgage payment just to wet your whistle. The simplest thing to do is to find a bottle with an easy price tag that has "di Modena" somewhere on the label and your good to go. There is no reason toy can't use it just like any other vinegar. Go ahead and mix it up with olive oil and throw it on your salad.
Like pipe tobacco, balsamic changes dramatically when aged. It can be bright and sharp when fresh, but with age it becomes very rich, sweet and syrupy. The fresh stuff is great for salads while the aged balsamic often finds broader use. In Italy, we use it to add sweet and sour to all sorts of foods from fruit, to gelato to liquor....it goes well with just about anything. Try a few drops on a strawberry, or sprinkle a bit more on vanilla ice cream. One thing to keep in mind though, in America Italian food is often over the top with spices, garlic, spicy peppers, etc...in Italy things tend toward restraint, so go slow when seasoning.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Balsamic vinegar is used as a condiment/gourmet vinegar. It is thicker, sweeter, and stronger than most red-wine vinegars, and not as acidic/harsh. A much smaller amount ( a few good drops- 1 tbs) mixed with a good fruity olive oil/spices will dress a whole large bowl of salad greens, etc. Add a few drops more if needed.
Balsamic Vinegar....It's the Latakia/Perique of the vinegar world. A little goes a long way.
BTW....Balsamic SYRUP is totally different....and the two are not interchangeable.
Bon appetit,

Frank

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
BTW....Balsamic SYRUP is totally different....and the two are not interchangeable.

The syrup is nothing more than reduced balsamic with added sugar. It's an inexpensive imitation of 25 year old balsamic. They are interchangeable, particularly if part of a sauce and you don't wish to spend a ton.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Thank you all for your input. Yes, I ordered some of the "real thing," at the bargain price of only seven something an ounce. I noticed one thing right off the bat. When the better half catches me ordering a pipe, it is "OMG! What have you done to the budget?" If you get caught ordering this vinegar, it is, "Wonderful! I've always wanted to try it." Which is Wife-speak for, "When it comes in, it's mine...all mine. Don't you dare touch it." *sigh*

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You can spend big money on Balsamic vinegar, so though it's fun to splurge and try "the good stuff," you may also want to try around to find one this is good quality but not like buying single malt whiskey. Likewise, when you have a tasty one, there's the tendency to overdo it. I like that little spark of flavor, not too overbearing. It really enlivens salad dressing or the dressing for an Italian sandwich. Many uses in cooking, but again, sometimes less is more.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Bertolli in the supermarket. Just watched a cooking show that did a taste test and rated it very good...

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
@Sablebrush
Hans used it for his HU Fifth Anniversary blend and it's really good!
I agree but I heard it was Ursula's idea :puffy:
@Cosmic
It adds an acidic peppery kick to meat sauces, and adds interest to some vegetable dishes, like potato salads with a mustard base, and splashed over steamed arugula. I will mix Serrano peppers with some tomatoes and then drizzle some balsamic vinegar over it and then add it latter to my turnip greens.
Those uses sound delicious. Are you a sous chef, Cosmic?

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Numbered and individually signed, [redacted] Traditional Aged Balsamic Vinegar is handcrafted in small batches and carefully selected for your enjoyment. Each bottle of [redacted] contains only the finest quality traditional balsamic vinegar. Made of 100% Trebbiano grapes grown on the rolling green hills of Modena.

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
I get my balsamic vinegar from ASDA 250ml for .99p and it's Di Modena, very good. Some are more expensive than wine!

Status
Not open for further replies.