Ballot Measure to Ban All Flavored Tobacco (Including Pipe)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
From NPR: June Ballot Measure Would Ban All Flavored Tobacco Products In San Francisco
Just in San Francisco. But what happens in California often happens to the entire USA later.
I imagine this could include all aromatics.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/05/16/611142229/june-ballot-measure-would-ban-all-flavored-tobacco-products-in-san-francisco?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180516

samw74

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2017
New York , NY
The reduction of underage smoking is a noble cause. However, when laws infringe on constitutional rights, it’s illegal, unjust and must be overturned by the judicial branch. This was the framers intent of ‘checks and balances’. Unfortunately, reality is otherwise. A more practical and legal approach would be through education and other protective measures. That’s my two cents.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess pipe smokers are too small a demographic to particularize, but it seems that pipe tobacco could be omitted from some or most of these regulations. True, this might herd young people into pipe smoking just as an evasion, but pipe smoking is demanding enough and requires to be somewhat learned, so I think it wouldn't. I always think of law and legal thinking as an exercise in intellectual precision, and yet the legislation and regulations frequently manifest great broad brush thinking and ham handedness. Why? People don't persist in applying the local speed limit to a NASCAR track, and the standard laws about assault to the boxing ring. Are pipes so mysterious they must be blanketed in with other activities related to the tobacco leaf? Come on, legal minds, let's see some discernment, some nuance, some discrimination in thought processes. There, now I'm sure I've cleared up all that.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Nobody really wants to think about these issues. They would prefer to appear as though they have solved a problem and protected the children (of all ages).

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
However, when laws infringe on constitutional rights, it’s illegal, unjust and must be overturned by the judicial branch. This was the framers intent of ‘checks and balances’.
It must be nice to have a system that works .. in Romania article 6 of the constitution states "There is nobody and nothing above the law" ... only when you look in our courts, and in our parliament you realize what a travesty that is ...

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
When they start regulating the toxic particulates that industry regularly belch into the atmosphere, then they will have a leg to stand on.
Just more crap from legislators/thieves.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
May as well tack on $5 for the Homeless while you're at it. Cali is a punchline these days.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I truly believe that they aren't thinking about pipes primarily, and are almost certainly ignorant about aromatic pipe tobacco, yet it appears pipe tobacco is included in this ballot measure. To an extent I am sympathetic to the idea that candy flavored vape juice is potentially courting very young people. I remember my disgust when reading a newspaper article in Montana many years ago; manufacturers of crystal methamphetamine had developed a pink raspberry flavored version of the heinous drug. Clearly an attempt to get younger people using. Obviously methamphetamine is a long way from tobacco. I suppose it's possible that young people would smoke flavored pipe tobacco. I was a bit of a Tom Sawyer looking kid, wading through streams barefoot in cutoff jeans, fishing, and smoking a corncob pipe with illegally acquired pipe tobacco just to do something naughty I suppose. But by mid-adolescence I had quit (until recently). Anyway, this ballot measure seems to be taking things too far. Where is the line? How far along do we go down the path to Big Brother.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It must be nice to have a system that works .. in Romania article 6 of the constitution states "There is nobody and nothing above the law" ... only when you look in our courts, and in our parliament you realize what a travesty that is ...
It's no different here in the USA.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
But yet, they don't seem to care about the children when it comes to city provided drug addict needles littering parks and playgrounds.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Those-needles-littering-the-streets-The-city-12898656.php
"That leaves more than 154,000 needles a month still circulating. No one knows how many are tossed into garbage cans or into private needle retrieval boxes — but thousands wind up on streets and sidewalks, in tent camps, and in parks and playgrounds."
I would make a political comment here since we all know where these insane policies originate, but I'll refrain.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Since this ballot measure aims to remove all "flavored tobacco products from all store shelves", would that not then also apply to smokeless tobaccos as well? I don't think I saw anything that mentioned they were out of bounds for the measure. This sounds like a blanket measure to remove everything flavored, but then who's to say that will work like they want it to. Now you'll just be pushing them to actual cigarettes in order to get the same feeling of taboo that they search for in the first place. I'm all for protecting kids, but why does that always mean taking something away from adults that they enjoy and is only meant for in the first place? This just sends the wrong message and could become a larger foothold for them on other things. Next, maybe it's "flavored alcohol".

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
But will they also consider latakia and dark fired as flavored tobaccos?

Yes, eventually they will. All change starts with a paper cut and then grows to a gaping wound once the political screws are turned.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
But will they also consider latakia and dark fired as flavored tobaccos?
Good thing McClelland is gone, they would have likely included the Ketchup flavored Virginias. :)

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Well let them go ahead and secede from the Union then and let them be their own country. Everything they do seems to be so bassackwards from the rest of the country, they almost down seem to fit in with the rest of the nation.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I truly believe that they aren't thinking about pipes primarily, and are almost certainly ignorant about aromatic pipe tobacco, yet it appears pipe tobacco is included in this ballot measure.
I believe you are 100% accurate.
An aside: Could there be "adult flavors"? I.e., a flavor that kids would say is "yucky", but that adults adulate? Eggplant? Bitters? Latakia? Capers? Well, who knows?

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
@bannyc9, I don't think I could, I already have seen what the housing market there is like and don't think I could even afford a tiny house there. Hell, you have to live what, 20 people to a house to afford the mortgage? Good luck to any young people trying to buy anything there and have a slice of the American dream anymore. It's bad enough around Raleigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.