Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Is this person really passing this off as factual? Read the description. :crazy:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BALKAN-SOBRANIE-Pipe-Tobacco-Tin-very-rare-Unopened-Sealed-/171510637792?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27eed4a4e0

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
He's not exactly lying. It is generally out of stock. I've seen eBay listings where the seller proclaims it to be out of production. That's lying.
There are people who will pay $50-100 for a tin of this stuff. I feel for them, I truly do. In a few years, I'll happily sell them my stash, because I'm not going to smoke it. A hundred bucks a tin will be just compensation for my thoughtfulness.

May 31, 2012
Now that's whatya call aesthetic commerce, heh heh

lives up to the moniker!
But the description is completely true:
You are bidding on a very rare, “out of stock everywhere,” collectable sealed tin of Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture, expertly blended by the epic tobacconist, J. F. Germain & Son. A superbly crafted re-introduction of one of the most iconic, famous, and sought after tinned tobaccos in history.
What do you find troublesome about it?
btw

an online retailer had BS in stock @9.75 a tin (2 limit) all week long (now sold out), I placed an order with them and didn't even bother with the BS, just got me some Ramsgate and Kendal Kentucky!

May 31, 2012
k6MPvvI.jpg

EX4iru9.jpg

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
IMO it's exaggerated but it clearly states what you are getting. I see the Gallaher made BS misrepresented as original all the time. 8O

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Guys Balkan Sobranie is not "Rare". I bought mine several weeks back for $9.30 each. Most any week you can find one or two new tins online if you look hard enough and I don't mean at $35 a pop and this guy wants $42. The title of the ad says it's "New" and "Very Rare". It can't be both. I think this guy is far from reputable. On top of all that it's far from being my favorite Balkan blend, not that that has anything to do with my gripe. :crazy:

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Yeah, you just have to love that title; NEW (very rare). Now that makes absolutely no sense, but whatever.

Other than that, he doesn't have a bad seller reputation and he has every right to ask whatever he wishes to to whatever sucker is willing to pay the price. He already sold a tin for $46.00 and all the power to him. As the old adage goes; 'Only fools rush in', and more apropos; 'Knowledge is power'. :wink:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A true student of B.T. Barnum. This way to see the amazing and incomparable egress.

larrylegend

Lurker
Jan 3, 2014
I have seen other people list tins of sealed tobacco on ebay as "collectible" and also saying that they are meant as such. Being that the tins are sealed I would assume one would buy them for the contents.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
^^ Correct. That is simply a way to skirt the ebay rules that doses not allow the sale of tobacco.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
It never ceases to amaze me what people sell on Oi Vay! I have been searching that site for tins of Golden Unicorn as well as the equally rare Owl Pellet an old reliable blend! Has anyone noticed that the short hand for Balkan Sobranie is BS which is identical to what I think of the blend!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I used to be able to sell tins of the new Sobranie on Ebay to folks in China, who can't seem to get enough and were paying just about anything. Now, since the production has increased, they aren't moving. I picked up one of the $35 tins at Cigars International last week, I'll probably give it to one of my pipe friends who enjoys that blend.

May 31, 2012
...it was pretty cheap in 1962!
http://pipepages.com/pics/62owlback.jpg
:D
Has anyone noticed that the short hand for Balkan Sobranie is BS which is identical to what I think of the blend!
Brilliant Stuff?

:nana:

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
The over the top description in the first paragraph isn't the real problem. It's the second part of his copy where, in my opinion, the ad became fraudulent.
IMPORTANT: – The value of the item is the collectible packaging, not the tobacco itself.The value of the packaging is higher than the current retail price of the tobacco in the package. – While the package has never been opened, the tobacco inside is not for consumption. – The collectible packaging is not currently available in stores. – The buyer must be at least 18 years old. – Both the buyer and the seller are following all applicable laws and shipping regulations for this transaction.
Lots of blatant lies there. Make all the straw man arguments you want, it doesn't matter. When you use the "Ebay blurb" to sell current production tobacco tins then you have perpetrated a fraudulent listing. Use all the dishonest argumentative tactics you want, and it's still a dishonest business practice.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Pssst torque, it's a ploy around the Ebay listing games. If that exact wording is not used, ads get bounced. No one believes this, nor cares, if they find the blend they are looking for. (shhh....)

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Pssst torque, it's a ploy around the Ebay listing games. If that exact wording is not used, ads get bounced. No one believes this, nor cares, if they find the blend they are looking for. (shhh....)
Yes sir, I'm fully cognizant of this and your tongue in cheek is duly noted :) The problem I have with this is the concept that "it's OK as long as we get what we want". That kind of blows me away. I don't understand it and guess I never will. I was brought up with a different set of values I guess.
Anyway, I've voiced my opinion so I won't continue to beleaguer the point.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
You have got to give credit to the "folks" (as obama calls the American people) who can write an interesting eBay description!

Status
Not open for further replies.