PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
Hi everyone,

today i was at a flea market in the Netherlands and found 2 tins Balkan Sobranie that were made by Sobranie.

One is just the normal white tin and the other one is Virginia No.10. I picked them both up for 11 Euro's, with only down side is that they were bone dry. So i was wondering how old these tins are. Can anyone maybe tell me when Sobranie self stopped producing them and possibly how old they are?

One tin has a stamping of E224 and the other one has K191.

The tax seals were still intact and i could conclude it was imported/made before the Netherlands entered the EU.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
Sorry my conclusion is false....Netherlands start using the euro in 2002. So it is at least 13 years old.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Post pictures, or transcribe any writing on the tin: any addresses, and the tin size (ounces vs grams, volume, etc) and I can help narrow it down for you
But pictures of the top, sides, and bottom would be best. Even the font is helpful since it changed over time

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Once tobacco is bone dry for so long it kind of loses alot. I stumbled across a sealed pouch of tobacco that had turned bone dry, re-hydrated it and I just can't seem to smoke it. So you may or may not want to just keep it as a souvenir, personally I wish I'd just kept mine the way I got it rather than rehydrating it.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I'm far from an expert but Sobranie converted from tins to pouches in the 1980's. You can always mix the dry tobacco with fresh, moist tobacco. You certainly can rehydrate it but it is never the same in my experience.
Mike S.

May 31, 2012
jguss will have the info,

I'd take him up on his kind offer to help you,

he will know what's what.
And if you want to look at pretty pictures relating to Balkan Sobranie,

here's a few of those...

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/balkan-sobranie-notes-quotes-links-and-pretty-pictures-image-heavy
:puffy:

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
I would love to post photos, but i don't know how i can do it.

but on the lids of the there is stated clipovac reg trade mark no 728862 and to open - insert coin under lid and twist (painted lids).

On the side made by sobranie limited. london. england. On the seal there is a price of f 5.25 (f = gulden, dutch currency before the euro).

and on the bottom the tin is punched with "50 grms." The tins are just like the current round flat tins. But these can't be screwed shut, just like the biscuit tins that you pop open or shut(but not just as a tight fit like those tins).

Status
Not open for further replies.