PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I finally broke into the 1oz sample of the current version of Balkan Sobranie which I picked up from the Canadian Box Pass (Thanks Ghost!). I have no way to compare this current BS to the previous iteration, and therefor will not.
Tobacco: Latakia (I am guessing it's Cypriot), Oriental (Macedonian?) and Virginias (no idea of origin)

Cut/Style: Ribbon Cut

Aroma: Sweet and peaty, smoked salt and a dead campfire

Drying: The tobacco is still springy and soft, it is spongy to pack but is dry to the touch. I packed it right out of the jar.

Pipe: LHS Sterncrest bowl size equivalent to a group 4

Prep: 3 step stuff, final pre-light draw is stiff, like drawing on a milkshake with the top of the tobacco resting about 1/8" from the top of the bowl

Charring light: Good expansion, Oriental forward with good balance from the Lat and Virginia, sweets are not as pronounced as I expected. Smoke texture is moderate, but not creamy or dense.

True light through first third: Orientals stay forward, but the smoke is not in anyway sharp, the Latakia comes in to provide an Islay like savoury quality in the mid range, Virginias are not noticeable individually except, perhaps, in the fact that there remains an underlying resonant toasty sweetness.

Second third: The flavour notes remain consistent, and the smoke consistency remains on the mild side of medium bodied.

Bottom third: The Orientals remain the hero here with the Latakias both amping up and developing an overall pine pitch spike to the flavour. Smoke consistency remains the same.
The bowl smoked to a fine, talc like, grey/white powder.
I enjoyed the bowl, but think that both Margate and Exotique (also both Germain joints) offer a more Oriental forward sharpness which I enjoy. Of the three, I also enjoyed the creamy body of Margate's smoke.
Given the availability of Margate and Exotique, I think I'll let others race to the e-tailer of choice to pick up BS the next time it finds it's way West from the Channel Islands.
I'd love to hear what others think of this blend.
Thanks for reading.
-- Pat

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Not sure what I think of the blend, Pat, since I haven't tried it yet, but your review is absolutely first rate! Seldom have I seen a tobacco described as thoroughly and cogently as you have done. I have a tin in stock, and your review made me look forward to opening it and trying it out.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Very descriptive review Pat i almost felt like i was smoking this blend as i read along. I also like how you recommended similar blends at the end of the review for others to compare and relate to. looking forward to more reviews from you pal.
Keep it up.
PS: its so much fun isn't it?

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I have a tin that I jarred up from the very first rerelease batch, it just keeps getting better with a little age, sugar crystals have started to develop slightly and the smoke is quite nice.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I have five tins waiting to be opened but that's not happening until the New Year, but I'm looking forward to it.
Which New Year--Chinese, Jewish, civil, Persian? I always start a new pipe or tobacco for Rosh HaShanah.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Gents, thanks for the kind words.
Smokey is right, recording thoughts on a smoke and sharing them is fun. In fact his recent foray into reviews inspired me to try it out for myself.
Thanks to you all for the encouragement, I'll keep posting them as they come.
-- Pat

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
An outstanding review of the recent Reincarnation of the old favorite. My initial, fresh from the tin impressions were less than lackluster. I was ready to give it away and thought it was just another Internet generated, lame attempt at re-creating another must have tobacco. After letting the tin sit for a couple weeks I revisited it and found it to be a pretty good mixture, not one that I'd spend time searching everywhere for but for sure one I'd buy again. We had a dozen or so tins come in at the shop and they layed around for quite some time before people started picking them up and many did so because they had asked if I had tried it. Not that I'm any kind of an authority on such matters but sometimes I think pipe smokers like to hear another pipers personal opinion before trying something outside of their regular routine. Like many here I've never had the pleasure of tasting the original but this offering is worthy of some accolades all on its own.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I smoked the "original quite a bit in the early 1970's. Great stuff to be sure. I have not tried the latest incarnation but would like to. I do have Russ O's WhiteKnight and it does evoke memories of the old Balkan Sobranie so I need to get the Germain blend for a comparison.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate them greatly!
I am trying to refine/define a 'snapshot review' format that works for me, and works for others. I'm not providing exhaustive research here, and don't pretend to be. I have a solid palate, but won't be smoking an entire tin before providing a review. So I kinda feel like a little moment in time approach to my smokes is the best way to do this.
I'd love any feedback or your suggestions on other things to consider either here or in PM. I'm definitely going to take a page from Smokeybear's book and start journaling my smokes.
Happy Monday!
-- Pat

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Great review. Try it a little dry, almost toasty, and it's a real treat. I'm not sure which I like better, this or White Knight, but I'm having a heck of a lot of fun comparing them.
Also there is only one New Year, Beltane. Roasting marshmallows over the wickerman, carving up captured Romans....almost as much fun as Samhain :)

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Very good review. I have tried it off and on for a few months, and honestly, I am not that impressed. I thought it was OK, but nowhere near as good as the hype. I do have several tins in my cellar though, and I will try again in a few years, maybe my palate will change by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.