PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I know what your saying Phil, we've been here before. Last time I talked about it, some folks didn't seem very concerned because a seller is free to charge what the market will handle. Also I've seen members from here list it higher on ebay than P&C does, and the tins weren't listed as aged.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Yeah, it is whatever the market will bear. It is usually more than $40 on ebay, so if they can afford to have the stuff move slowly, then it will go at that rate once everyone else is sold out.
Capitolism at work!

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Last time they had it they priced it at $34.95 as well.
.....and they still sold out.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
That's the problem. Somebody set the srandard. Good thing SP still has a soul. I was able to get 2 tins for about $20. That was about month and a half ago.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
^ I look forward to trying White Knight.
4noggins had some BS about 6 weeks ago and I got 2 tins for $16.35 each. They have soul too.
Soul bruthas, SP and 4N.
:puffy:

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
Just want to clarify wyfbane's post. The Balkan Sobranie, when we had it a few weeks ago, was $11.29 per tin.....just sayin'
Rich

4noggins.com

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Please, comparing what the asking price is on FleaBay and what the asking price is for online retailers isn’t fair. Granted, they can charge whatever they wish to, but you don’t find 4noggins, Iwan Ries, etc. charging such an exorbitant price to cash in on the market. That, and aside from the fact that it isn’t the most elusive and hard to obtain tobacco such as Penzance or Stonehaven etc.
Also, when other online retailers get such elusive tobaccos in they may give a limit as to what you can purchase, but they don’t raise the price which is perfectly acceptable and understandable to me. I’ve done a lot of business with P&C, but this price gouging has totally tuned me off. Yep... they are all sold out which only once again proves that there are more horses asses’ then there are horses in the world. The odd thing is that I’m not all that bent out on purchasing this tobacco, but if perhaps it became available at the price that should be charged for it ($10.50 - $11.50) I would probably kick in for two tins. :wink:

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I did two tins, at SP 6-8 weeks ago for I think at the time was $9.46 each. Like others have said, eh... I have many blends I like better and I'm an English/Balkan guy.

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
I agree that comparing the eBay price to retail prices isn't fair. The eBay price actually reflects the market value of the item, while retail prices are arbitrary positions of an individual seller. And implying that a company is soulless or price gouging because they charge more than you want to pay is nonsense. If other retailers are charging less than the market will bear, they're actually creating a market inefficiency. It moves the tobacco from buyers who value it the most to buyers who value it a moderate amount. It's certainly laudable if someone wants to be charitable, but I will never fault anyone for trying to legally make as much money as they can.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Oops! Rich is right. I just remembered it was reasonable to me. So much so, I bought it when I was not looking to spend money at the time. Sorry!!

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
... but I will never fault anyone for trying to legally make as much money as they can.
I never said otherwise and I totally agree. But, that doesn't mean it's palatable to me when I can very well purchase the very same thing from another dealer at a decent price who doesn't find the need to hike their prices corresponding to the perceived hype that pervades on such places as eBay.

Taken totally out of context! Please, if you will, read my entire sentence again and not just quote part of it to suit your comments!

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I'm not going to get to exercised about a blend that I don't have to buy...if something is priced that way, it can sit on the shelves till hell freezes over for all I care. It seems that more people give White Knight higher marks anyway, so I rounded out my order today: 3 1.76 OZ tins for $20.
There ya go and my exact sentiments also. Got a couple of tins myself and it's damn good baccy! :wink:

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
I'm not going to get to exercised about a blend that I don't have to buy...if something is priced that way, it can sit on the shelves till hell freezes over for all I care. It seems that more people give White Knight higher marks anyway, so I rounded out my order today: 3 1.76 OZ tins for $20.

There ya go and my exact sentiments also. Got a couple of tins myself and it's damn good baccy! :wink:
So, the P&C that sells you expensive Balkan Sobranie is evil, and the P&C that sells you White Knight makes you feel just dandy? 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.