PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Earlier today I posted about Penzance being in stock at another retailer, and I doubt this will last long either! Hopefully those who of you who have been wanting to try this blend can snag a tin! Enjoy :)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
$17.95 with a one tin limit. The price is creeping up, but not the highest I've seen.
I found this reissue disappointing, having smoked Balkan Sobranie back when it was produced by Sobranie, as well as the Gallaher version. Thus, I have a stack of it on the shelf that is safe from being smoked by me.
WhiteKnight is mucho closer in its flavor profile, is available at Pipes and Cigars, and is only 9.99.
If you want to buy a tin with the name and artwork, by all means buy BS when you can find it. If you want to smoke something that's really close to the old blend, buy WhiteKnight.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I agree that White Knight is superior to the current production BSOSM. But the real sleeper is the bulk Match BSOSM from P&C. I'm not saying it is better than White Knight, but so close, that it is an incredible value and an incredible blend for the $$$. Check it out.

May 31, 2012
BlackHouse continues to be a fave with me.
I have a fairly small rotation of Lat mixtures and have no need really to suffer with the frustration of trying to find the current iteration of the "official" Sobranie,

where they messed up the artwork anyway with soft blur and uneven greytones...jeez. :?
...it's just another shiny gold tin with a crappy sticker on top.
BlackHouse is much more flavorful and carries much more depth,

it is truly satisfying.

:puffy:

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Oddly enough, the acronym 'BS' seems quite fitting for the new version of Balkan Sobranie.

May 31, 2012
:laughat:

Oddly enough, the acronym 'BS' seems quite fitting for the new version of Balkan Sobranie.
As they say in the contemporary common vernacular, TRU DAT
True that,

indeed.

To be sung in the tune of Where Have All The Flowers Gone? --- Where Has All The Yenidje Gone? :lol:

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
I understand that the blend might not be what it used to be, but none the less there are still some of us who enjoy the current day rendition for what it is. Since it's almost as hard to come by as many Esoterica blends, I figured I'd share it's availability to those who enjoy it or have yet to try it :)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I understand that the blend might not be what it used to be, but none the less there are still some of us who enjoy the current day rendition for what it is. Since it's almost as hard to come by as many Esoterica blends, I figured I'd share it's availability to those who enjoy it or have yet to try it :)
I appreciate that, but It's also useful to let frustrated Unicorn chasers know that there are other, and perhaps better, options.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Better price...

http://www.ljperetti.com/tobacco-cat/balkan-sobranie.html

May 31, 2012
The zoom feature at LJP linked above allows one to deeply cringe at how poorly the artwork was reproduced,

it was like they didn't even care...

May 31, 2012
Here's the image they used for reproduction;
VAuF5SH.jpg
...and did a halfass job of it:
TNs6AOS.jpg
This:
8BuHAhw.jpg
Becomes this:
bC0ZGMw.jpg
I think it always looked better in the rectangular form:
bkQBXcs.jpg
And some of the old ciggy tins were more well-fleshed out:
dyxJdnh.jpg

0pFOYVn.jpg
All in all,

the new and current label art gets an F for TOTAL FAIL.

:x

Status
Not open for further replies.