PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
http://www.pipeandleaf.com/shop/balkan-sobranie-50g-tin/
I just stumbled on it, some of you seem to be fond of those.

It's the most mediocre Balkan I have ever tried. The new recipe is crap. I've never tried the older tins, but I imagine that for a blend to get so famous that it must have been good at one time. Now, I can barely finish a tin of the damned stuff. Hearth and Home Whiteknight will blow you away with how much better it is than BS.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The other BS (Sasieni) is better, but why go foreign when you've got Russ with H&H and John Cotton, Smyrna, etc.(Std. Tobacco of PA); Greg Pease with a dozen fine English blends; and now you can get Kramers main blends online. I wish I knew more about McClellands!

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I'm glad to read people say that BS isn't what it once was. Sasieni is better as is some of the H&H mentioned. And they don't cost no $25.00 a tin.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
What is it where a fellow member shares info some want, only to be faced with a stream of people slamming the blend? I stopped posting such info because I hated inciting a hatefest on blends I'm fond of.
Thanks for sharing the info!

loborx

Apr 20, 2011
BS (Sasieni) is my favorite Balkan. And the price point is excellent. That's no BS. I got a chance to try the Original Sobranie 759 when I found a dry, old foil pouch of it in a glass showcase at a pipe shop that was closing down. This had to be about 20 years ago. It truly was all it was cracked up to be. YMMV :puffy:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Germain's product is a real disappointment. I used to smoke Balkan Sobranie when it was the real deal and this ain't it. To add injury to insult, retailers stick it to their gullible clientele by overcharging for this nasty stuff because it carries a legendary name and badly done reproduction of the old artwork.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
Nate

I actually happen to agree with the opinions stated.
Although I know what you mean, when I see people slamming Penzance and Stonehaven

I start pondering what's going on in those people's minds.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I appreciate the heads up and like Balkan Sobranie. I doubt I'll pick any up this go around because of the price point. I don't think $25 is terribly unfair, but I have managed to accumulate a good amount of tins over the past couple years for a much lower price. It seems as though some really don't like it, which always works for me when it's something I enjoy that is only available on occasion. I've smoked White Knight and other similar blends and like them too, but I like Balkan Sobranie's cut and also the flavor a little more than it's comparable blends. Everyone has his/her own likes and dislikes. I'm a little surprised that a simple heads up about the availability of a blend generated as much reaction as this? I guess some really don't like it? I can't compare it to it's old self, so I imagine that it could be a let down for some in that context. I read similar reactions following the Mac Baren release of Three Nuns.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like Balkan Sobranie better than White Knight, but that's just too expensive. It can easily be found from time to time for under $15. I bought a five can roll for $60 back in December.

Dec 28, 2015
Nate, thank you saying what I have been thinking for quite some time. It reminds me of people who slam someone else's musical taste. I don't like a lot music other people listen to and I certainly think my musical tastes are far superior to everyone else's, but I don't see how it helps anyone for me to blather on about how much I hate their music. So I don't.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I read similar reactions following the Mac Baren release of Three Nuns.
Yeah that was a bit of a row, but Mac Baren had licensed the Virginia Kentucky version of Three Nuns, not the Va/Per version. If you want to smoke something pretty close to the Va/Per Three Nuns, try Savinelli Doblone d'Oro.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

If you want to smoke something pretty close to the Va/Per Three Nuns, try Savinelli Doblone d'Oro.
I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the insight.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
The other BS (Sasieni) is better, but why go foreign when you've got Russ with H&H and John Cotton, Smyrna, etc.(Std. Tobacco of PA); Greg Pease with a dozen fine English blends
What is it where a fellow member shares info some want, only to be faced with a stream of people slamming the blend? I stopped posting such info because I hated inciting a hatefest on blends I'm fond of.
We must tow the company line...especially if they are forum sponsors.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
For the record, I am not a basher, however individuals who speak freely about forum sponsors can disappear into the cornfields...

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Most every thread has people coming on giving a contrary opinion to whatever the topic is. Sobranie is not being bashed. It isn't bashing just to say that you don't like a blend as it stands today or don't think it is the same as it was many years ago or that you think it is overpriced. I've smoked the stuff of old and I've tried the current stuff. Not the same, other than the label on the can.

Status
Not open for further replies.