PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
^ Nope. Contrary to your photo of bounty, they told me they have NO Balkan Sobanie and no Esotericas. I am not sure if they are just lying because they don't want to ship or what. I wasn't impressed with their careless packaging last time I got something from them, so whatever.

jpiper

Lurker
Apr 6, 2014
The stuff is not worth the hype in my opinion. I would rather pick up a tin of Three Oaks Syrian.

Ha, I may have confused my pictures. Maybe this was your hoard and not the Briary. How it got on my phone is a mystery, but that would explain the black turtle neck and climbing ropes in the back of my car.
Yeh, JPiper, I would also recommend, Whiteknight, Balkan Sterling, and Balkan Supreme to be better rivals also.
But, watching them unload boxes of the Sobrainie, I felt compelled to take a picture, because it does come up regularly on here... like now.

hiplainsdrifter, maybe they were so busy loading the boxes of ODF and reams of Astleys into the back of my car for me that they didn't have time, ha ha. I can't explain. I've never had to order from them because I'm just down the road. Or, maybe these were earmarked for someone. I apologize for getting anyone's hopes up. But, I snapped the picture minutes before posting it yesterday.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm sitting on a stack of tins, letting them age. When I bought them last year, it was no big deal. There was a lot of product and no limits. I used to smoke this in the '70's and '80's and liked it a lot. Then I opened up a tin of the reissue and tried it. This incarnation isn't anything wonderful, it's just got the rights to a famous name an a sorta decent rendition of the original labeling. If it doesn't turn into something worth smoking in a few years I can always sell it for a profit to someone with brand awareness and not much palate.
If you're looking for the Balkan Sobranie flavor profile, WhiteKnight is a good copy and jminks has mentioned about a better one that is a bit expensive and has to be ordered out of Switzerland.
These single tin offers hold no interest for me, as once I've factored in shipping costs it's no bargain. It's a good way to get traffic to a site and it does help against mindless hoarding that's become an issue. If I had other buying needs, the one tin offer would be fine as a serendipitous adjunct.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
These single tin offers hold no interest for me, as once I've factored in shipping costs it's no bargain.
I agree- I actually passed yesterday because I couldn't find another $90 worth of tobacco I really needed..

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Sablebrush52: The tobacco from Synjeco in Switzerland is Torina. It's the closest to the 1980s, '90s Balkan Sobranie that I have found. The price is not overly bad (approximately $15 for 50 grams), it's the shipping that makes it so tough to afford.
I smoked Balkan Sobranie for thirty years and the new version does not match up. It's a different blend now. There's a little less latakia, no lemon Virginia, and the yenidje is either gone or changed because the light soda/floral notes are no longer present. The Orientals are tamer. That helped make the older version special. It's a good blend, but no longer special. With all the really good, complex English blends on the market now, I see no reason to chase this down. Sad that after all the years of enjoyment I got from it that Germains have decided economy triumphs faithful recreation. And this comes from a guy who once had 70 pouches and tins of the 1990s and early 2000 version in the cellar at one time. Wish I hadn't smoked it all up. I miss it.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
For what it's worth, I prefer Russ O's WhiteKnight to the new Balkan Sobranie. It doesn't have the unflavored soda note from the Yenidje that I loved in the old Sobranie, but for my tastes, it's more complex and tasty.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
That White Knight is awesome. Pretty funny if you go to P&C and compare their price for a tin of White Knight VS Sobranie.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Still waiting to try White Knight but I smoked my first bowl of Black House and it soundly trounced BS in my opinion. Even if I end up preferring White Night I still plan to get more Black House.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
Every time I get the news they are sold out. 2 tins is all I want. 1 for now 1 for later. But for now I will have to wait.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I'm surprised by all the White Knight love. I smoked some of the preproduction stuff and it was fine, but it wasn't going knocking any of my go-to Pease latakia mixtures out of my cellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.