PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
WhiteKnight is better, much closer to the old product. And there's no gouging or frenzy. But if you gotta have a tin labeled Balkan Sobranie, get it while you can.
I used to smoke it back in the '70's and '80's. When I saw that it had been reissued, I bought about 10 tins of it before I cracked one open a couple of years back. I still have all but a couple of bowls left.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sablebrush52- Can you recommend any others that are similar to the original? I smoked a few tins in the 60's, and liked it, but it was no better tasting to me than the mixture I was smoking back then, Burlington Arcade. (long ago discontinued).

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I bought a few tins, but before I could open one, a friend gave me half of his tin because he didn't like it. I was disappointed that they changed the formula. Haven't opened my tins, and maybe I won't. WhiteKnight is much, much better.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I'll have to open a tin of BS, although I'm far too young :wink: to have smoked the original. I did really like White Knight when I tried it.

dolomite128

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
Clinton, MA
I've had the good fortune of smoking some 70s 80s 90s and present day Balkan Sobranie.
By far (and not surprisingly) the 70s was the best mixture - with a level of sweetness and intense latakia / oriental pungency.
By the 90s the leaf was more of a shag cut and lost a lot of oomph in the overall flavor profile. It was mostly smoky latakia and often smelled like an old wood chimney (keep in mind that smell works for me!).
This blend today is very similar to the 90s blend with maybe a touch more sweetness in the background. Still a shag cut like many Esoterica blends. I've found if you let it dry out a bit before smoking, the experience is a bit better. Burns better and develops a bit more flavor with whisps of Oriental leaf - but you really have to look for it!
I think H&H Magnum Opus is an excellent option for the old BS white. I have not tried White Knight before but will have to seek some out.
I've personally blended some of my own tobacco in tribute to the 70s version which is similar - probably the closest I'll get.
In summary, this version of Balkan Sobranie is just OK. As @sablebrush52 says above, seek out H&H White Knight or Magnum Opus - that's where it's at!

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Sablebrush52, JimInks,
I really like White Knight, as well as Black House. In fact, I like Black House a little bit better, but...
I thought it was Black House that was supposed to be a copy of Balkan Sobraine. Am I just confused, or is White Knight ALSO a copy?

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I'm gonna have to try white knight. I have two tins of Balkan Sobraine and three oaks Syrian in the cellar. I wasn't gonna buy anymore tobacco till after Christmas though. Unless the deal of a lifetime comes 'round. Or if pelican and/or kingfisher become available.

dolomite128

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
Clinton, MA
I think Black House was H&H take on Balkan Sobranie 759 (the black tin).
Could be wrong though. I was under the impression Magnum Opus was his take on BS White. Guess I'll go do a bit of research!

Not ever having tried the old formula, I found Sobranie to be lacking the things that I look for in a Balkan blend. It just never held my interest. If this source taps out, I know that Skip at The Briary has about a dozen tins and usually has it in stock. It's not a big seller for him. However, it tends to run out minutes after I post their number. 1-877-327-4279

Tell him Cosmic sent you... Maybe he'll give me a discount, ha ha, not likely. :puffy:

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"I think Black House was H&H take on Balkan Sobranie 759 (the black tin).

Could be wrong though. I was under the impression Magnum Opus was his take on BS White. Guess I'll go do a bit of research!"

This is from P&C/Russ on WhiteKnight and tells the story succinctly about all the blends in question:
"When we won the 2011 Balkan Sobranie 759 Throwdown at the Chicagoland Pipe and Tobacciana Show, with our entry, BlackHouse, it caused quite a stir, and the blend has become one of our best sellers. We followed that up with Fusilier's Ration, which was modeled after Bengal Slices, and it too has become incredibly popular. There was one other blend that I loved, that I thought about making a tribute to, because I enjoyed it so much. But I resisted, due to the iconic stature of the tobacco. After a couple of years of work, though, I finally put together a blend that I feel so confident in, that we're ready to bring you BlackHouse's cousin - WhiteKnight.
Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture is legendary among those of us who were privileged enough to have smoked it. It had gone through some changes, but my memories are from the blend as it was in the late seventies. Using Cyprian Latakia, remarkable yellow Virginias, and amazing Macedonian Orientals, including the Queen of Tobaccos - Yenidje, WhiteKnight has received rave reviews from people who sampled it prior to release.
If you love smooth, fragrant Latakia blends with a bright, sparkly character, I think that WhiteKnight will find its way into your regular rotation."

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I have tried a tin of the original Sobranie 759 last year at the NYC pipe meeting and was gifted the rest of the tin to take home and covet. IMHO, nothing produced now comes really near to that great blend.
But to be fair, that tin was aged for close to thirty years, and who knows what will happen to Black house in that time.
I've tried White Knight when it came out at the Chicago show, and tried a tin.
Didn't make it for me, but of course YMMV.
I've stocked up on Black House and the new version of Balkan Sobranie, both are pretty good.
But, ahhh....Once you've tried 759, the memory lingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.