PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I remember enjoying a bulk balkan that was available at the (now closed) B&M in college. I eventually stopped smoking it because I started leaning toward lighter Englishes, but I'm thining I could use something like it in my rotation now. It was very heavy and almost oily, intensely spicy and peppery, and the latakia note was very dark and rich as opposed to light and sharp. Any recommendations along those lines?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sutliff Balkan 957 was tasty, although maybe not quite as robust as what you describe. I'm not sure it is currently available but might be spotted at a pipe show or come back around into production as some Sutliff blends do. I think I got my tin at a pipe show.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I just sent a tin of BS 759 to pipestud for sale. Should go up on his site this weekend. ;) for complicated reasons, I just wasn't able to bring myself to crack it open and seemed sad to let it sit forever.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Stan, we'll talk sometime and I'll share the chronological series of events which led me to the tin and why I couldn't open it. Perhaps we could meet an hour every week so as to not overwealm you. In a short few months you'll have.... the rest of the story :)

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian

GLP Odyssey

McClelland Blue Mountain (Balkan Blue)

F&K Sterling Balkan

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I'm working through a tin of balkan sasieni right now, it's got the right price and it's an enjoyable blend.
Balkan is a pretty broad term though, it sounds like something like Dunhill nightcap might be what you're describing.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Andy: Nightcap is actually my favorite blend. I suppose I'm looking for something different, though having a hard time describing it. Heavier and earthier, though I know that's a tall order.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Heavier and earthier, though I know that's a tall order.
Not a Balkan, per se, but it sounds like C&D Haunted Bookshop might be a good try.
Also, along those lines but not as bold, would be H&H Beverwyck.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
If you can get it, try Gawith and Hoggart Balkan Flake which is very dark and oily, or Germain's Special Latakia Flake. Not quite as you describe but both are heavy and earthy. Neither are particularly spicy to my taste though, but you may feel otherwise.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Heavier and earthier, though I know that's a tall order.
I think you should be looking at heavier english blends though, I find most balkans to be lighter than English blends. Balkan is pretty much an invented tobacco term to describe what was traditionally an english blend.
You may want to try something like Dan Tobacco Old Ironsides or Captain Earles ten Russians.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
A tobacco with a typical rich and earthy taste would be HU Tobacco Tuarekh. The German Huber München English Balkan may be hard to get for you but is even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.