PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Last month I purchased an estate pipe from eBay seller Second-Hand Smokes, and Mr. Malberg kindly included a tin of Sutliff's Balkan Luxury Blend 957 which I found to be delightful. Early in my piping career I enjoyed a variety of Balkan blends; however, I have ignored this category for a number of years, and so I do not know what is currently good and available here in the States. Would you be so kind as to recommend your favorites? Thank-you!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Whiteknight, Yenidje Highlander, and Tashkent come to mind. Whiteknight is Russ' take on Balkan Sobranie, and having compared it to the real McCoy from the late 1970's, I believe he's pretty well nailed it. The current BS made by Germaine is not as good. Yenidje Highlander is part of McClelland's Grand Oriental series. Tashkent is made by Peretti.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
1 Balkan Sobranie
2 Balkan Sasieni
3 Red Odessa
4 White Knight
5 Black House
6 Blue Mountain
7 Balkan Supreme

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
@sablebrush52 Can Yenidje Highlander be called a Balkan? Don't get me wrong, this is one of my favorite new blends, but not a whole lot of latakia.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
sablebrush52:
I have tried the Germain's reissue of Balkan Sobranie, but found it to be so insipid that I threw it in the trash (I can hear the howls of horror now) after smoking only two bowls. Yenidje Highlander sounds more like my cup of tea (or bowl of 'baccy). Thank-you for the recommendation!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Can Yenidje Highlander be called a Balkan? Don't get me wrong, this is one of my favorite new blends, but not a whole lot of latakia.
I don't hold with the notion that a "Balkan" blend has to be a variation on an English blend (whatever the hell THAT is - there being some debate as to whether English is a legitimate descriptor) so I'm more inclined to look at the constituent varietals a with a bit more latitude. Yenidje is certainly a Balkan varietal. Latakia is not. So I wouldn't personally define a Balkan blend by the presence or absence of non Balkan varietals. Others are free to follow their own stars.
Balkan Sasieni is a wonderful blend, with a nice helping of Macedonian leaf. My favorite blend is Easy Chair, an out of production Smoker Ltd. blend that also has a high percentage of Macedonian leaf and is similar to Balkan Sasieni.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I very much enjoy Charing Cross, a balkan blend from GLPease. I have a couple large tins and this is a very nice smoke. Another good option is Vintage Syrian from Mac Baren. It's from their HH line, and is very smooth.
I have also ordered a few more GL's as well as Black House. They should be on my doorstep when I get home, as UPS Tracking says they are "out for delivery". If my 1oz samples are good, then I will be putting in another order this week to stock up my cellar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good thread for me, since the few Balkans I've tried have been a disappointment.

I was surprised that the Tinder Box version (don't know the source) is so uninteresting,

not bad, but mundane. I do have the Sutliff Balkan, so I'll see how that goes, eventually.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
@sablebrush52 Thank you for clarifying. Just past two decades of smoking and still learning. :D

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thank you for clarifying. Just past two decades of smoking and still learning.
Defining types of blends is inexact at best. Everyone has their own version of what constitutes a definition. It's fair, given that pipe smokers are contrarian. Your ideas are as legitimate, or illegitimate, as mine.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I also like Samuel Gawiths Squadron Leader. Some call it a Balkan, and some claim it to only be an English, but I think there are enough orientals to qualify it as a Balkanish.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
The article posted by griffonwing lists FMOTB as a Balkan. As it's part of my current rotation, I'd have to say it's one Ketchuppy Balkan!

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
If by Balkan you mean a latakia blend with a good deal of orientals, here is a short list.
GL Pease, in ascending order of fullness:

Asbury (great call, cosmisfolklore)

Kensington

Meridian

Charing Cross
I think Hearth & Home's White Knight is pretty good, too.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Oriental Forward

1. Peretti Royal

2. H&H White Knight

3. Dunhill Durbar

4. Rattray Red Rapparee

5. Pease Charing Cross

6. Pease Caravan
Latakia Forward

1. H&H Black House

2. Peretti Tashkent

3. Pease Odyssey

4. McClelland Blue Balkan

Jan 8, 2013
I see I'm not the only one here that still prefers to call McClelland Blue Mountain by it's original name. Balkan Blue just sounds like a perfume for sheep or something. I love the blend though, and along with Black House I highly recommend it.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Plus one on the Charing Cross, I just lit up my first bowl and its delightful. Also, try the 50/50 mix of BlackHouse and Balkan Blue.

Jan 8, 2013
There's that 50/50 mix I've heard about again. Black And Blue. Thanks for reminding me about that Daimyo :) I think I'll try that tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.