PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spidermanny

Lurker
Nov 4, 2011
Just wondering about baldspots in the grain of a pipe, searching for a picture of some sorts that would be a prime example of a baldspot.

If any fine Gentelmen and Ladies out here that might have a pipe with a baldspot if you could post a photo it would be great for newbies to examine.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Pix of pipes with noticeable bald wood may be hard to come by because most have stains and finishes that hide this less attractive wood. Some folks say that bald wood will smoke as well as any, but that they may require more rest than a grainy pipe; and that brings us to the actual function of pipe grain, if any.
Wood grain and pipe performance has always generated a lot of discussion. Some think that straight and bird's eye grain perform the best, others think it's largely an aesthetic issue. I used to subscribe to the latter view, but this post by Lawrence has changed my opinion somewhat. I think the jury is still out, and I'd love to read more opinions on the subject.

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
Straight grain, cross grain could burns easily if not well smoked.Birdeyes briar is somewhat better.Quality of briar are two:aesthetical and functional.Aesthetical no needs more words you all know what's better.About functionality not all briar is the same.Sesoning and curing make the difference but briar itself is important as the two things mentioned before.Moroccan briar is usually of lower quality of grecian and italian is in many cases better than others including French and Corsican.Ground, climate,sun etc etc makes the difference as well oranges from California are very different than the ones from Sicily, just same fruit but different.The cost of a pipe reflect the aesthetical and carving process,but for "commercial pipes" reflect the cost of the briar.Better briar cost more,that's all

Maurizio

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
Here are two pictures of pipes with baldspots. I took them a while back for other purposes so they might not be perfectly angled etc. to show off the bald spot but as you can see they are there haha.
DSC_0048.jpg

ab5846df.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.