"Balanced" Blends....Which Is... and Which Isn't...and Why?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
After joining this forum back in July, I've been doing a lot of reading of past threads. Partly out of curiosity, but mostly to become better informed. I've been away from pipe-smoking for years, and I now need to catch up on what's hot, and what's not.
I've come across the term...."balanced blend"..... I have no idea, or, more accurately, I have some idea, of what this term might mean. So to better understand and know just what defines a "balanced blend", I'll ask my fellow forum members to educate me. Take me to school.
It would be very helpful when mentioning/discussing a certain blend, just why the blend is balanced, and to cite examples of blends that are failures, or "unbalanced" blends....
I can venture a guess that examples of what is considered a "balanced blend" will come down to personal opinions. That's fine. I think I am more interested in knowing/learning about which blends are just total failures. It's way easier to judge what's good, when you know, what's bad.
Thanks for helping.
Frank

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think anyone who uses the term "balanced" should explain in what way it is meant; for example, flavor & strength, or flavor and body (whole mouth feel), or the correct amount of condimental leaf, etc.
It might be hard to remember the "out of balance" blends because most smokers would quickly dismiss a poor blend and relegate it to the set of brands to avoid -- without further thought.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It ought to mean the blend's components don't stand out; that nothing makes it a bomb of one sort or another.
But I think it's simply a word used by marketing departments.

Jun 25, 2017
I describe a smoke as balanced if I can pick up on all ingredients and, similarly, if the flavors aren't overshadowed by one or two others. But for the record, a blend being unbalanced doesn't make it a bad thing. There are sometimes when I WANT a latakia heavy smoke or a VaPer with a stronger Perique hit. So just because something isn't balanced doesn't mean it's a failure.
I like to refer to SPC Mississippi River (and Plum Pudding for that matter). There's a lot of stuff going on in there and throughout the course of the bowl, the different flavors really present themselves. Another good example of a busy yet balanced blend is LJ Peretti's No 8 Slice.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'll agree with pancakes on this one. I describe a blend as balanced, or more likely harmonious, when I experience the various components in a way where no one is overshadowed by another, where the components feel supported and not submerged. This is less obvious in blends whose components have merged over the years to become an overall flavor. Then it's about what notes that flavor hits. GP-11, for example, I experience as a very balanced and harmonious blend, one where the particular Perique and the particular blend of Virginias can be tasted and enjoyed both as individual components and together as an overall profile.

But one's experience of a blend is a personal thing. No everyone shares the same palate nor the same tastes. So my harmony may be another's cacophony.

Status
Not open for further replies.