Baked Erinmore

(57 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by tbradsim1
  • Latest reply from mikeysmokes
  1. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Woke up this morning, went in kitchen for a cup of coffee, smells of Erinmore galore. I had put a tin of Erinmore in oven at 185 degs, put it on pipe table to cool. Smelled so good I wanted to eat it.LOL, if you've never tried it you are missing something very good.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. wolf666

wolf666

Login to Send PM

Think I`ll try that lol

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. docwatson

docwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a great idea Bradley. I have read so much about baking tobacco, especially recommended by Dr. Fred Hanna. It must mellow out a blend to another level. Good recommendation from you, I must try that soon. And I bet the aroma in the kitchen is as nice as a freshly baked apple pie!!!

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling---Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes it is Doc, even the wife likes it, tried it folded and stuffed, was on the porch with PMon and North winds up to 20 mph so I wanted it to stay lit, but cubed is a lot better more robust flavor.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds great. After reading Fred Hanna's book, I've learned to bake quite a few tins. I've had good luck basically with all VA forward blends. As for other blends, Dunhill's 965, EMP, Royal Yacht do well. So does Balkan Sasieni.

The pipe eases you into the present moment - savor your pipe & you'll savor this moment.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. cavendish

cavendish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

185 for how long?

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do 190 for four to six hours. Cool and let it age another few weeks. Then pop the seal.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. jkenp

jkenp

Login to Send PM

Well, we can say you're half baked, Brad!

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. cavendish

cavendish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Kashmir. I like to toast Peter Stokkebye LTF, LBF and recently a new liking to LNF as well. Rich from 4noggins said to try 180F for 180min

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. rebornbriar

rebornbriar

Login to Send PM

I take it those temperatures are Fahrenheit? For those in Europe this is 85 celsius.

Alan
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. jservant98

jservant98

Login to Send PM

Erinmore flake or mixture?

He came to His own, but His own rejected Him.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  12. jbbaldwin

jbbaldwin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Flake.

I suppose you could bake the mixture. (The mixture has gotten such bad press around here I've never smoked it, baked or not.)

Bradley talked me into trying the baked flake last year, and I'm glad he did. It's very nice.

- Write if you get work.

- Hang by your thumbs.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  13. jservant98

jservant98

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Erinmore Flake is one of my favorites, I will have to give that a try. Thanks also tbradsim1

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

smokertruck

Login to Send PM

If you bake prior to opening tin ? - why does the heat not pop the tighter unopened tins - & if you smell the aroma of the erinmore is that not a result of strength escaping out of tin while in the oven ?

the baking then cooling is that prior to opening tin to jar?

i have a tin of the erinmore flake opened about a month but notice it dries out a lot as the tin is very loose compared to other companies -
    should have transferred to jar -
    should i place the remaining tobacco in oven or too late ?

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tins are placed in the oven sealed, upopened. With plastic cap off, but paper on. For Dunhill tins, I just toss them in as is. For GLP tins I first remove the plastic lid.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So this can be done with practically any kind of tin? Tins like the Dunhill blends or tins with a pull ring such as a Hearth and Home blend? Can you do this with practically any blend of tobacco? Can it be done with Virginias, Balkans, Englishes, Orientals, or even Aromatics?

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 5 years ago #
  17. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anthony - I find that VA and VAPers do better than Lat blends. Orintals like VAs also do well. The baking seems to meld the flavors, producing a richer smoke. Some say it mimicks the natural aging process. I don't know about that, but I've found after baking its good to age it further, like a year. I've tried Escudo smoking it right after baking, after a few weeks and after a year. All different tins. The year aging after bsking was the best. Noticibly different from the first two or from fresh stuff. At 180 the paper on the tins or the stick on labels like those on Dunhill tins survive the treatment. Oh, Dunhill's EMP does really well with baking.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Kashmir. I'm certainly going to try it, regardless of what I might use.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 2 tins of Erinmore Mixture that were given to me that are unopened and 1 that I tried didn't care for and jarred. I am guessing they are at least 15 years old right now, I am gonna bake em up and then continue aging them. They can only get better ( I hope).

Kent

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

timpiper

Login to Send PM

I baked a tin of EMP then put it in a bail top jar for a year.

The change is amazing, almost like a different blend.

The flavour is richer. Simply superb.

I will only smoke EMP this way now, in my Pete 303.

-Tim

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just came up with another question... is it possible that a tin could explode while baking?
    Oh... and one more. How could you bake something you no longer have the tin for? I would think it would have to be something air tight such as the tin, otherwise you would turn your tobacco into dry toast.

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Honey!!! Dinner will be ready in another year

Looks like the pizza stone needs a cleaning

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

kabbuse

Login to Send PM

is it possible to bake them in the mason jars unfortunately my local tobacco shop only has tobacco in baggies

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bumping this thread since I have a tin of Erinmore Flake in the oven right now, and the smell is just as amazing as described above. It's like baking a dessert, a cobbler maybe? Making me hungry...

Matt.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  25. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I get away with a lot of things in my house - wife doesn't care how many new pipes I buy or how much tobacco - but if I started baking tins of tobacco in our oven I think she would have my nuts in a large jar that sits above the sink.

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peck, that my wife is still at the in-laws is merely a coincidence...

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How in God's name do you avoid a trip to the inlaws? I am forced to go, on pain of a slow and excruciating death.

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How in God's name do you avoid a trip to the inlaws? I am forced to go, on pain of a slow and excruciating death.

I don't have a very heartwarming relationship with the in-laws. We have a nice cordial relationship that would not be enhanced by sustained interaction.

Posted 5 years ago #
  29. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't know why I'm just finding out about this phenomenon now, but you guys have literally tried everything but mixing tobacco leaves into your salad.

I have heard that leaving a small amount of a blend out on the sun can slightly mimic the aging process, but this takes the cake.

You guys are trying to become alchemists and cheat nature. And I like it.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 5 years ago #
  30. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Double post.

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just a quick update. I took the Erinmore from the oven, and after it cooled down I checked it and the top of the tin was no longer sealed. The aroma of the darkened flakes was ridiculously good. I'm going to leave it sit overnight in the tin then transfer it to a mason jar tomorrow. I can't wait to try this!

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. titus

titus

Login to Send PM

Mad, your all quite mad! Sounds brilliant though:)

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If it's Peck approved I am all in for this, watch for my video - Baking 10 tins of Escudo in an oven.

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  34. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just finally tried this, I like erinmore as it comes, but I decided to give it a try. The way I "baked" my erinmore was putting it on a slow cooker while a stew was being cooked. I then let it sit for probably a month. Then recently I put it on top of the slow cooker again cooking a roast for about 5 hours at least. I then let it sit for another week or so. Upon opening the tin I noticed the paper was a bit wet, and the flakes had turned dark, like much darker than the unbaked erinmore, almost stoved looking. I haven't let it dry enough yet for a proper smoke but the one I had I noticed it to be a lot mellower in a good way, after it dries a bit more to the optimum smoking preference for me I think it will pick up some strength, as I find moist tobacco to be a bit too mellow for my liking. The tin note was very tea like and much different than the unbaked erimore. I just can't justify turning on the oven for a tin of tobacco, so I find putting the tin on the slow cooker is a good substiute. So this would technically be twice baked erinmore. I'm looking forward to trying this would stuff like FVF and escudo, there is a definite change that takes place, just the color alone, not to mention the aroma. Just from the first smoke I found it to be sweeter as well. Sometimes smoking erinmore I think I do get a pineapple flavor, it is a closely guarded secret what the topping is. There's definitely apricot. I find though I'll get different flavors different days, sometimes it's almost like a traditional "urinal cake" type flavor, sometimes apricot, once or twice I was getting pineapple. A chameleon tobacco that keeps me interested always.

Posted 3 years ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

smokertruck

Login to Send PM

erinmore was fruitier 50 years ago when i smoked at age 20 & 3 nuns was mostly coins not fill as it is today.

Posted 3 years ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

smokertruck

Login to Send PM

baking a tin of erinmore - my stove never smelled so good - not the same sweet aroma as when you crack open a tin
    - not sweet but all tobacco aroma. hope that tin is sealed well, even though i can smell the tobacco.

Posted 3 years ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

smokertruck

Login to Send PM

i opened a tin of royal yacht - - can i close the tin as tightly as possible & bake or would it dry the tobacco completely ? - -

would then like to transfer bagged tobacco to a tin & bake it if the tobacco is not totally dried out

Posted 3 years ago #
  38. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

i opened a tin of royal yacht - - can i close the tin as tightly as possible & bake or would it dry the tobacco completely ?

I have never done this specifically, but Royal Yacht rehydrates well with a 50/50 mixture of whiskey and distilled water.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  39. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

According to Brad who started this thread you can cover the tin with tinfoil, put the top back on, then bake it in the oven. I can smell erinmore in the tin when it's sealed anytime, so no worries, pretty much every round tin almost I can smell the tobacco in it when it's sealed.

Posted 3 years ago #
  40. pipebeast

pipebeast

Login to Send PM

I believe I have a new science project now....

Posted 3 years ago #
  41. bcharles123

bcharles123

Login to Send PM

If Erininmore is great baked, I bet that 4th generation 1931 will do very well baked. I may try tomorrow!

Posted 3 years ago #
  42. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Based on what I recall from Dr. Fred Hanna's original article on tin baking (his is the first I ever heard of) the baked tins lose their seal. So, the tobacco should be enjoyed after baking/cooling. I assume you could jar the contents as well though. Admittedly, I've always relied on time alone to age tobacco.

Mike S.

Posted 3 years ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

smokertruck

Login to Send PM

HEAVEN !!!!!!

baked my tin of flake erinmore - the aroma in the oven was awesome - after 3 hr @180 removed from the oven could smell the erinmore thru the tin -let it stand now 24hrs.

now go to transfer the tobacco to a jar ...sh..t - the seal is broken but according to an above post it does unseal when baked - no suction fairly loose top - remove the top ... !!!!!!!!!!TOBACCO IS ALMOST BLACK & AROMA IS AWESOME - CAN SMELL MOSTLY THE APRICOT !!!!!!!!
    more intense than & better than before baking - i can do this every day - i cant believe the aroma - intense apricot. could not have even dreamed of such intensity of aroma
    whoever dreamed up this idea of baking must have been in heaven when he smelled the tobacco afterwards.

have not tried it yet - sore throat - of all the times.

wish i had done this 50 years ago when erinmore was even fruitier.

another topic...

i have a tin of royal yacht - not my cup-of-tea - smoked 3 bowls ... anyways even though the tin was opened baked it anyways . still not for me.
    but interesting ... even though the tin had been opened prior to baking , when it cooled i tried to swivel it open - no such luck - needed a coin to pry it open - incredible suction!! - only a dunhill tin can do that. i intend to jar the tobacco & then use the tin to bake other tobaccos - when closing the tin i with full strength close it so i guess the dunhill tin was ready for sealing when in the oven - but it sure did hiss when i opened it with a coin. not sure how often it will allow me to bake & create suction but will try.

Posted 3 years ago #
  44. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Recently, Erinmore flake became my everyday smoke. The flavor and nicotine content is amazing. I have few flakes left inside the tin. On the other hand, I cannot get the same joy from Erinmore Mixture. I will try to bake my next Erinmore flake tin for sure.

Javan
    Posted 3 years ago #
  45. thomasmartin

thomasmartin

Login to Send PM

Must try this! Can anyone post a SOP that exactly describes the process (in C° please)?

Thomas
    Posted 3 years ago #
  46. User has not uploaded an avatar

smokertruck

Login to Send PM

i baked at 180 deg or 92 deg C for 3 hrs - just put in the oven on a wrack on broil rather than bake which is too intense.
    - i did no preparation - i am not sure if the flake tin had lost its seal when it started but according to above post mine did lose its seal by the time i removed it - - place on kitchen counter top in 1 hr it is cooled but waited til next day to try it - it is more mellowed out & seems to have lost some of its nicotine hit which usually gives me a malaria hit big time but not this time - maybe another positive result aside from awesome flavor & aroma - the jar now has the aroma of apricot !

Posted 3 years ago #
  47. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At this moment I am enjoying some Erinmore flake for the first time in about six months and wondering why I don't smoke it more often and why it doesn't get more love. It is reminiscent of Esoterica Dorchester to me. I was curious if there was a thread about it being underrated and found this. I'm going to go home and try putting a few flakes in a sous vide for several hours. Can't wait...

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK, I had to look it up.... To save others the trouble...

Sous-vide is a method of cooking in which food is placed in a plastic pouch or a glass jar and then placed in a water bath or steam environment for longer than normal cooking times (usually 1 to 7 hours, up to 48 or more in some cases) at an accurately regulated temperature. The temperature is much lower than normally ...

Pretty darn cool, craig, if not quite récherché!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  49. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks jpmcwjr. To save others further trouble...

recherché
    [ruh-shair-shey, ruh-shair-shey; French ruh-sher-shey]
    adjective
    sought out with care.

very rare, exotic, or choice; arcane; obscure.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The truth is that I don't want to risk offending my wife's sensitive sense of smell using our oven. Sous vide will be aroma-free until I open the bag. In addition, it'll be an interesting alternative that will retain virtually all moisture. So, I don't expect the results to be identical to baking, but should be similar to baking in a sealed tin.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Erinmore was mentioned as being a favorite of C S Lewis, and it gets love, but we don’t flaunt it, as it is always available. But if it ever should become so popular that it becomes hard to find, it will be a sad day.
    Besides, many people are put-off by the urinal cake tin smell. It takes a bit of experience to handle smoking it slow and savoring it to pull out those fruity notes of the blend, plus the moderate to high nicotine. It’s more of a smoke for the experienced.

But, there was much discussion about it having a pineapple scent, which turns out that was merely influenced by the design of “hospitality” and not an ingredient at all. So, it has had it’s day in the spotlight.

I’ve cooked it in the oven, as posted years ago in the dialog. It didn’t leave any ghost in the oven, but it did make the house smell great.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  52. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've got some fresh Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, slightly aged Erinmore, and some 2010 McClelland Blackwoods flake in the sous vide at 180F. Just a few bowls worth of each. I'll leave it in for about four hours and then let it stabilize in the bags until morning.

I realize that the Blackwoods flake is already stoved, so I'm interested to see if this affects even stoved tobaccos.

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Besides, many people are put-off by the urinal cake tin smell."

I've never experienced that with Erinmore Flake Michael but I do get a juicy fruit bubble gum whiff from the tin which sounds nasty in itself but it's a great smoke.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  54. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Our urinal cakes in the US smells like Juicy Fruit

And, our Tide Pods are delicious, ha ha.

JK

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This sounds awesome ...must try it!

Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  56. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haven't sniffed a urinal cake for some time, so it got me wondering why the restrooms in N CA don't have them anymore. ?

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. User has not uploaded an avatar

mikeysmokes

Login to Send PM

Any thoughts on throwing Mclelland's Contest Blend in to bake?

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cshubhra, jaytex969, jiminks, tuold, paulfg, catyrpelius, sasquatch, sumusfumus, georged, agnosticpipe, cortezattic, pitchfork, malicev, railman