PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi folks. Today I had delivered some large bail top jars from my local Asda (UK version of Walmart), the size that are perfect for holding 1Kg of bulk Sam Gawith flakes standing upright. The odd thing is that these have silicone seals whereas my others have white rubber seals.
Now I only have three of the large size with rubber seals but I have about 15 of the smaller jars (suitable for roughly 250g of rubbed out flake tightly compressed) and the annoying thing is that some of them don't seal so well. I use the smaller jars to decant from so not a huge problem but these larger ones are intended for long term storage.
Therefore I occasionally need to pop in a wetted terracotta chunk into the smaller jars else they would dry to a crisp. This I do not want to happen to my large jars for obvious reasons.
So which gives a better seal, rubber or silicone...or is it a hit and miss affair?
Regards,
Jay.

Jun 27, 2016
Bail-tops seem hit-or-miss. I've seen some people complain about them leaking. I guess it depends on exactly how everything is designed as to whether or not they will be good. Can you get the screw-top Ball/Kerr style jars? I rarely hear people complain about them.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I was waiting for @mawnansmiff to reply but as he hasnt.Yes you can get screw top preserving jars in England.One popular make used to be Kilner i think they are still available
edit yes you can

https://www.tesco.com/direct/kilner-screw-top-preserve-jar-025-litre/628-2805.prd?source=others

unfortunately all I can find here in Greece are bail top ones

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Paul, thanks for the info and link. Alas I don't really fancy discarding all of my bail top jars only to buy a load of Kilner jars that need their seals renewing after a mere ten uses.
I just wondered if the silicone seals now used are superior to the old rubber seals or if they're just a marketing decision...ie cheaper.
I suppose time will tell.
Regards,
Jay.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Jay, IMHO they are better than rubber seals. Rubber seals wear and tear faster than the silicone seals. Internet says
Silicone is more resistant to heat, chemical attacks, fungus attacks, UV and Ozone attacks than normal rubber.
I use the jars (with silicone seals) below to keep my tobacco for daily smoke, I was planning to use them for the short term storage, however they turned out to be perfect to keep tobacco even for the long term storage. The ones I have don't even let the moisture content drop 1%.
2015-11-07-17-513x600.jpg

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Jay:

I have been using glass bail-top canning jars for many years for dry foods (rice, beans, sugar, etc) long-term storage. Although the rubber seals served well for years, they began to breakdown due to the dry air & higher ozone levels at 8100 feet (2469 meters) elevation.

I have switched all of the seals to silicone several years ago & am happy with their ability to maintain a good seal & for their resistance to deterioration. I think that they are superior to the rubber rings.

Silicone may slightly discolor over time, but can be restored to a new appearance by using a soft-scrub liquid cleanser containing bleach (from experience with silicone scuba diving masks).

I have noticed that most bail-top jar's wire loops & hinges need to be tweaked & bent with needle nose pliers to obtain & maintain the best seal.

I do not use plastic bail-top jars as they do not seem to attain & maintain a good seal as well as glass jars. I also think that they absorb & retain tobacco odor, while the glass jars do not ghost (unless I can trap one of my wife's ectoplasmic friends, but that is another story).
That said, I use only screw-top canning jars for tobacco storage, long or short-term, but never larger than 1 quart (0.88L) which is fits most SG flakes with a bend at their bottom; 1L jars may allow the flakes to remain straight (1L's are not available here, so I have no experience with them).

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Bail tops seem to work very well for short-medium term (days to a few months) but all longer term storage gets the screw tops at my house. I am sure you can get good use out of the larger bail tops if you check the lid is level when clamped down, and resist opening often.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I've only used screw top lids with rubber seals for long term storage and have been pleased with the results. However, I can easily see the merits of silicon seals over rubber seals with my screw tops.
Thanks to my two favorite Jays, Jack, Paulfg, Mike and John for yet another reminder why I've been checking in daily these past six years. The camaraderie is excellent but I still pick up ideas worth thinking over.
I'm distrustful of bail top jars for long haul aging - 15 to 20 years. But, if it's working for you guys, then carry on. The fresh Lats I need might keep the edge I crave, thanks to silicon rings, for another year or so but they'll still eventually puss out. But for long term VA and Va-Per bulk storage that's a different scenario.
Thanks, guys.
Fnord

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
@mawnansmiff
I agree about changing the seal every 10 uses but I guess if long term storage is the aim and not to be opened for say 5 years then it doesnt really matter that much, if it keeps the tobacco from drying out that is the aim .

Whereas if you open it every week then it would be a concern.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well it looks as though I ought invest in some screw top Kilner jars for my long term storage and just use the bailtops for short term storage. It is these I decant from for everyday use.
Thanks for the input chaps :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Jun 27, 2016
Jay I don't think that you have much to worry about in terms of short or long-term usage with the screw top lid seals. I have a couple of lids that are nearly 15 years old, which have been opened many times, and the rubber is still good, and there is zero tobacco odor in my drawers. If you crimp the metal by the seal, toss the lid. If you wash them, don't use an abrasive pad such as Scotch-Brite, or you will get scratches that will rust. I threw out a few stored lids due to that. I would expect that you should be able to get affordable replacement lid packs to replace any lids that you may need to throw out.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Cossackjack, I forgot to mention that I too 'tweak' the clips on my bailtop jars to improve their sealing abilities. I find the pliers on my Leatherman ideal for the job :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.