PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2016
When I pass through Asheville, NC I usually try to stop by B&B Tobacconists to pick up a couple ounces of one their proprietary blends. I stopped in the shop this weekend on my way home to the mountains. They had a modest but excellent selection of tins including some hard to find brands. I also spotted a 500g bag of Gawith and Hogarth's Bosun Cut Plug. The owner saw me looking at it and said he'd give me a good deal on it. I said I was on a strict $21 budget and couldn't afford it that day. He said "bring that $21 up here along with the bag. I want to get it out of inventory." I thanked him vigorously and folded and stuffed a flake into my pipe.
Bosun is a mild lakeland aromatic with a very smooth medium to strong tobacco strength. If you don't like rose geranium, you won't like this flake, but I think it's a wonderful smoke (which is a good thing because I've got over a pound of it now.)
img_03641-600x555.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
So he sold you 500g for $21.00? I've always wanted to try this and now am more predisposed given the rose geranium.

badger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2016
@saltedplug--yes, it was such a good deal that I had to brag about it!

badger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2016
@nevadablue--this store is an hour from my home so I've depended upon online retailers to build up a modest cellar. However, I am going to begin limiting my purchases to this store after this experience.

badger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2016
papipeguy--you're right. I asked them if I could try a sample of the Bosun and he regretfully said they could no longer give samples because of the FDA BS. He then said if there was anything wrong with the tobacco he'd refund my money.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
GH tobaccos are very reasonable and are my standard for quality vs, price. Pease and Solani, the latter especially, have some fine offerings. Pease for $70.00/pound is always a great buy. Solani 633 and Silver Flake, however, are a definite cut above and worth the money. I think the guy liked you and wanted to get your business as at $21.00 he probably took a loss. I('d give him my business. too.

badger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2016
@saltedplug--yes, as far as value one could say that any pipe tobacco is a steal compared to cigars or coffin nails. Pease is one of my favorite blenders--never had a dull smoke of his. I've never tried any Solani blends. I'll have to change that.
@hawky454--thanks, I'm enjoying it more w/ every smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.