PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
So, upon my outing today I acquired three new pipes. One was a Kaywoodie for $5 the bowl was locked on, the stem was ugly, I didn't know any better...but it's $5 of fun. The other, a Meerschaum with a silver band, silver wire?, Amber stem?, and is by far the worse....I will need a pro for it as I don't trust myself with Meerschaum-and don't want to. The other...Silver Banded, Dragon carved in it, marked Briar. Anyone able to identify the Meer/Carved Briar would make my day. A note on the carved...the stem has been filled with something, rough and ugly, didn' take a picture but it has a weird stinger as well.
$5 on the Kaywoodie, found out that it had super glue attaching the bowl. Used my pick to carefully remove the glue from the seam without touching the briar, enough to break it loose. Only to discover a mess, that it was a falcon bowl, then later the stem is hand made after looking it up. Still, going to try and clean up the bowl and can always use it in my Falcon if anything as they ruined the stem by grinding off a bit. (apologies - didn't get a pic of it attached, not taking one at the moment :)
IMG_0133_zpszwrbttt2.jpg

IMG_0134_zps6fsouzxt.jpg

IMG_0135_zpskdikq1yx.jpg

Up next the Dragon, stamped briar, stirling silver TK in a diamond. $12.50

IMG_0153_zpstsfmoiyr.jpg

IMG_0146_zpsb1wayjuz.jpg

IMG_0151_zpshoalq3jf.jpg

IMG_0145_zpsnx8eqlwp.jpg

IMG_0143_zpsfq859kqr.jpg

IMG_0144_zpsqlcsbdy7.jpg

Then, my favorite, great potential, eye catching, and cheap. I don't know how to identify if it's an amber stem, but looks like others people have posted. $10 for this!
IMG_0141_zpsvzmbpdet.jpg

IMG_0140_zpsnivkwkhk.jpg

The Meer has problems...will get more pics when I have a better place to do so. However, I want it fixed up, I like it. Really just want to know about the dragon pipe...odd stuff...$27.50, worth it.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Tyler-
I am so glad you posted the dragon pipe. I have one just like it without the stem. Definitely hand carved since they are similar but not identical. Your pics are better. I dare say you have good taste in pipes! :) Check it out.
photo-on-2015-12-20-at-0146.jpg

photo-on-2015-12-20-at-0150.jpg

photo-on-2015-12-20-at-0150-2.jpg

photo-on-2015-12-20-at-0152.jpg

photo-on-2015p-12-20-at-0152-2.jpg

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Thank god...I was going crazy trying to find hallmarks for the silver band. Find any Dragon carvings for the Tsuge??

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
I believe we need to have them restored, and try out a little Tsuge Ryujin. Just want to mention, Tsuge pipes are generally well valued....question is, what of these.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
My plan was to fit a mulberry stem onto mine. Now I can see from your pic how it's supposed to look. I was thinking a long stem, churchwarden style and another tapered one like what you have. Ivory is out of the question on my end. Yours is salvageable I think. Mine you can see in the 4th and 5th pics it has a finely threaded fitment to receive the stem. No stinger. It is in there pretty solid. I think the gunk in yours may be glue(or opium? :). I still have to retrieve my drill and some other equipment before I make the stem. I'd thought the draw hole would be too small, but it draws surprisingly well without the stem. Post more pics of your Tsuge fitment if you can. I'd be happy to fashion a rough replacement for you, if you need one. What are the chances we got the same kind of Tsuge Dragon carved pipe? :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.