Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

requiemsoup

Lurker
Oct 31, 2013
Hawaii
Howzit Pipers!
A little back story: I decided to go and try a second bowl of Dunhill Flake and holy crap did I get the worst case of a nicotine buzz thus far. But, when I tried it the first time, it was after an entire bowl in one of my larger pipes then about 2/3rds of the Flake and I didn't have nearly as half of a buzz as the second go. I didn't smoke the second Flake on an empty stomach, I drank almost two 44 fl oz of Cola with no avail. It left me feeling queasy and slightly incapacitated.
So, Pipers, what are some other tips or tricks you use to help over come these dreadful buzzes? It seems, through some research, that sugar is the main go to solution. But that obviously didn't help me. I've read that a big glass of orange juice works well, but orange juice and I don't jive. I've also read about someones uncle, or something, who used to chew on a raw potato to help cure their buzz. But that's kind of impractical, to me. Perhaps my biggest option is to just build up a tolerance; however it seems every time I have a smoke lasting longer than 45 minutes results in one of these buzzes.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I did not know that a nicotine buzz could be bad. Ditto the above advice. I most enjoy the high nicotine blends after dinner and before bed with a Madeira or Port. Both the wine and the tobacco savored slowly.

requiemsoup

Lurker
Oct 31, 2013
Hawaii
Kashmir -- I ate a pretty big lunch a few hours prior.
Ragu -- it took me over an hour to smoke the single Flake. I always puff slowly because during my first couple weeks of pipe smoking I burnt my tongue pretty bad; so I've made it a habit to take my time.
Warren -- ah, dude, I get such bad buzzes sometimes. Its ironic because it seems when I take my sweet time is when I get a bad buzz and when I puff away, it is of no consequence. Other than a small case of bite, of course.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
A sweet drink will usually be the cure I seek. If I get an overdose of nic, a cranberry seltzer sets me straight right away.

jservant98

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2013
Southern Oregon
Requiemsoup, It could be that the nic content in that tobacco is very high. I never really had any problems until recently, I tried my first flake: Erinmore. It made stomach feel sick and I though I would puke everywhere but it never happened. I would say just ease up on that tobac for a while and try something more mild. Hope this helps. :puffy:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Requiemsoup: I suppose I have a some tolerance for nicotine after 60 years. If I was in your shoes I'd follow the advice above and shy away from the heavy nicotine blends. Smoking a pipe is supposed to be a joy, not a trial.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll go with warren on this. I like a heady tobacco that may carry a strong hit of nicotine from time to time,

but I don't take it as a point of honor, or a proof of anything. If it is unpleasant leave it alone. If you want

to have a bit of it, cut it with some more tame tobacco, smoke it in a small bowl pipe or fill only a third of

a Group 4 pipe, and quit if it starts to have a bad effect. I don't begrudge anyone the experience of taking

on a heavy dose of nicotine in a mucho flavored tobacco, if they do it comfortably, or at least without much

discomfort. But getting your head spinning just for honor points, don't do it, don't bother. It's not that great.

uncleboo

Lurker
Nov 17, 2013
I dip a wet finger in a bag of sugar and pop it in my mouth. It will almost instantly cure the effects of nic sickness.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Full stomach, hydration, no inhale, slow cadence, all of the above advice I completely agree with. The only time I really got hosed by nicotine was when I tried strong snus...was sick for a whole day.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I've been a pretty tolerant nic user for years. Having smoked many strong cigars, pipes, a brief stint in dipping and chewing, most of the time the effects don't get to me. That being said, it's not uncommon that a bowl of something like Irish Flake or a strong SG put me in my place. I love C&D Montford Point Marine in a big bowl and about 2/3 down it will usually creep up on me. Fortunately, the effects are only short lived for me so a short break and drink or snack generally do the trick.
This morning I got a little brave and had a bowl of GH Kendall Kentucky for breakfast. Even in the smaller Savinelli 626, I still had to set it down. Was a fun drive to work though :)

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Another thing I've heard of is keeping a chocolate bar nearby. From what I've heard the nicotine poisoning drops the blood sugar levels and brings about the sweats and nausea. A chocolate bar is a good way to counter act it. It's worth a shot, who doesn't like chocolate (aside from those allergic of course)?
I guess it might not hurt to try and just have a half bowl of it at a time for a while to try and build up your nicotine tolerance without getting the sweats and nausea.
As one that has experienced it personally, I know what you're going through and wish you all the best of luck.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
Aside from all the good advice here, I'll say exhaling the smoke through my nose seems to aggravate the "N" effect with certain tobaccos.

sjb3

Might Stick Around
Oct 23, 2013
Drink water. Before, during, and after smoking. Soda dehydrates the body and probably aided in the overdose of vitamin N. As one of my dear friends would often tell me "pound water, son"!

requiemsoup

Lurker
Oct 31, 2013
Hawaii
Damn. I guess my only real options are to stay away from high nicotine blends and or do what lordofthepiperings said and build a tolerance because, like I stated in earlier posts, I wasn't on an empty stomach; I had a big lunch and was still full when I went to smoke the Flake. I took my sweet time smoking, but the only thing I didn't do was drink water. I stayed hydrated, but that was only with soda, which sjb3 above me said probably helped get my ass kicked haha.
Its great to hear what everyone else uses to help them with their buzz. I just hope I don't have to try any of them out any time soon :lol:

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
... however it seems every time I have a smoke lasting longer than 45 minutes results in one of these buzzes.

Smoking slowly is good practice and to be recommended, but keep in mind that the slower you smoke the longer time the nicotine has to be absorbed.
You have good advice here, though not foolproof. Even after building a little tolerance over the years I still have a hard time predicting when and how much the nicotine will affect me.
Keep at it. My guess is that after a few months you will either find what works for you or you will learn to enjoy that nicotine buzz.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Nicotine is not the same as nicotinamide. Nicotine is not a vitamin. "Vitamin N" is a euphemism for nature, the great outdoors.
Let's not mix our science with our hobby. Nicotine is useful as a insecticide, provides the kick in tobacco, and is addictive. Nicotinamide is a member of the vitamin B group. Vitamin N is a "made up" vitamin designed to get people into the out of doors (get a dose of Vitamin N) for the fresh air, sunshine, etc.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Coca cola, sugar, and honey. In extreme cases, a zofran tablet ( if you can talk your doctor into giving you a prescription. ). Ditto for meclizine.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
As many have opined, I think overdrawing and too fast a cadence are the major factors contributing to the buzz. My sons (24 and 26) have just started to smoke pipes and I notice they don't seem to be content unless they are producing volumes of smoke. I'm trying to get them to gently sip the smoke and enjoy the flavor of the tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.