PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

artyhill

Lurker
Jun 26, 2014
Hey, I've been smoking for awhile but I'm new to the forum. Had bad experiences with tins of Royal Yacht and a tin of Elizabethan Mixture lately. Both had a really bad taste that made them unsmokeable (at least for me).
The Royal Yacht was a few weeks ago. The first bowl was fine, the next one was harsh and chemically tasting. I tried it in three different pipes and it was the same. Other tobacco tasted fine in the same pipes immediately afterward.
Tonight, I cracked my first tin of Elizabethan, smoked some in an Ardor estate calabash I just got. The pipe smokes great, but the taste was not great - I kept waiting for the flavor to perk up but I was just getting a bland, floor waxy flavor. I switched to an unsmoked Castello estate I got recently, only filled it halfway up - tobacco tasted even worse in this pipe. I emptied the unsmoked Castello out and filled it with a new tin of Esoterica Dunbar, which tasted great - no weird aftertaste, not a trace of what I was getting with the EM. (Btw, I've smoked 2 tins of Mixture 965 lately and both have been perfect).
The guys at my local shop thought the Royal Yacht was not properly cured (at least I think that's what they said) so I'm gonna age it for at least 6 mos (I put all my tobacco in ball jars) and see what happens.
I have a pretty discriminating palate, and like to think I can discriminate between what doesn't suit my tastebuds versus what could knock a buzzard off a garbage truck, These two taste experiences definitely fall into the "what crawled in here and died ?" category. Thoughts ?

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
I have an opinion on both (shocker I know!)
I recently through out a tin of EMP because of exactly what you first discribed, a chemically taste. I've had other dunhills, and this is NOT a trait of the brand, they make amazing tobaccos, it really was this one tin
On the second problem you had with the Elizabethan, it could be the fact that they're new pipes. I try to avoid new to me blends in new pipes. The unbroken in pipe always impacts taste and it has turned me off to a blend, and the I've tried it in a tired and true pipe and it's totally redeemed.
So find one of your well used VaPer pipes and load it up with the Elizabethan. See where that takes you.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Strange, I had the same jar of 965 taste like ammonia almost, same with newminister english luxus, then after a few days with some moisture it got better, and now the english luxus is incredible after a few months with the moisture aging. But that same jar of 965 tasted good and then suddenly like ammonia for a few smokes and then a week later back to the same good 965. Royal Yacht also has a topping so have you smoked it before and know what to expect?

transmutated

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2014
That's funny. I bought a tin of Dunhill Flake yesterday for only the second time ever.

The first tin I got, a couple of months ago, smelt amazing (like fresh hay) and was an awesome smoking experience straight out of the tin.

The tin I got yesterday smells and tastes completely different. A bland plummy scent. Not much fun to smoke. No where near as nice.

I'll see what it's like after a bit of drying but...hmm.

I am confused.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
A strange one for sure. I buy EMP, 965 and NC in bulk most of the time and I don't know if the blends you smoke are offered in bulk but it's worth a look. Is there a date code on your tins that you could post so others could compare and comment on how those tins smoked? When I do purchase tin tobacco I usually pop it and give it some time to breath. Whether that's a good practice or not, it works for me.

transmutated

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2014
Oh hang on. Idiot alert.

I've got a cold.

Maybe that is the cause of the change of flavour I described above.

I'll re-evaluate when I'm over it.

artyhill

Lurker
Jun 26, 2014
Thanks fellas, this was very helpful.. I'm thinking that buying in bulk may solve the problem...

artyhill

Lurker
Jun 26, 2014
Update: I tried the Elizabethan again on Saturday, and, after just a few days in a bell jar, it tasted fine. I'm gonna try the Royal Yacht (which has been in a jar for even /longer) and see how that is.

masonwarden

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2014
I'm interested to hear your experience here, arty - some claim that bulk taste different than tinned, and some claim that a few days or months of aging or breathing can make all the difference in taste. So many variables!

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
I may NEVER finish a tin of Royal Yacht in my life ...
For the Elizabethan Mixture, try to jar it for a few months, it'll surprise you. And it'll be even much much better if you age it for a few years before cracking the tin, it's like a different tobacco :)

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I believe the best way to store Royal Yacht is to seal it in a glass jar and bury it under a minimum of six feet of soil.
:)
Bob

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I am not generally a proponent of aging for the sake of aging, but the new Elizabethan at least is shipped a bit young as far as I can tell. The first of a few tobaccos re-released that year I felt that way about. A couple months does seem to make a difference.
I felt the same way about the new Royal Yacht as well.

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
One more year of smoking experience. I found Elizabethan mixture was only to be enjoyed by sufficient jarring and in specific pipes. I prefer to smoke it in a narrow deep( at least not shallow) bent pipe. I guess the constrained air supply in this shape may promote a cool burning.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Fresh tobacco produces ammonia. In fact that is how you can tell a tin of snuff is fresh. It has a slight ammonia smell. With age and a little air the ammonia disappears. It would seem some of the tobacco in your tins did not have enough age on it before being tinned.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I believe the best way to store Royal Yacht is to seal it in a glass jar and bury it under a minimum of six feet of soil.
[:)]
Bob
:clap:
Never had enough Elizabethan to chime in, maybe a bowl or three in my piping days. I just avoid Dunhill blends - never had one I liked.

Status
Not open for further replies.