PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
The other evening I went out as usual for my evening bowl. As I have mentioned in other threads, I have a man garage where I smoke. Well I also have a man cave but I can't smoke in it. Anyway, I also use and electric blanket to wrap up in to smoke. I'm a wuss, what can I say.

So I went out to smoke a bowl. Turned the heaters on, turned the electric blanket on high about half an hour before the bowl and got to thinking. My legs get cold cuzz I can't seem to tuck the blanket in tight enough. Hmm, I know! I'll take the bungee thing off the heating pad and use it to wrap the blanket around my legs. Awesome idea. I also sit with a very low wattage lamp turned on sitting on my work table. Fill bowl, go out to garage. Put pipe, matches, lighter tamper on table and proceed to wrap up. Wrap legs with bungee tie. Ah this is the life! Light pipe settle down. Light goes out. No worries, I can smoke in the dark. Drop lighter and tamper. DAMNATION! From the sound the lighter made as it hit the concrete floor, I think it went toward the car. Stand up forgetting the bungie cord wrapped around my legs and fell on my face. I was able to protect my pipe, (priorities here my smoking pipe guys not my other pipe) but slam dunk my bad shoulder. Cursing in the dark. I try to sit up and the folding camp chair I use decides to fold on my legs still wrapped up in the blanket with the bungee cord. More cussing. Rip off the bungee cord, unwrap the blanket but the bottom of the blanket was under one of my feet and I slipped down again. Curses get more strident and well, richer in color. I fumble over to the light switch across the garage in the dark and flick the light on. Pipe is in my hand (smoking) but the tobacco is scattered across the concrete. Dam waste of Latakia Flake. Should I try and scoop it off the floor or get a fresh bowl? Naw, I'll scoop. Don't wanna waste it. After scooping I realized there was too much garage detritus in the mix but wondered if it would enhance or detract from the smoking enjoyment? Settled on dumping it and going with a bowl of NightCap instead.

Dam garage. Dam blanket. Dam bungee cord.

This really happened. I'm not making it up. Decided I needed a finger or three of single malt to settle myself down.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I beg your pardon for laughing out loud! I really saw a movie inside my head of you wrecking yourself in the dark. I am a wuss too when it comes to cold so I smoke in my man cave but I have to agree with Warren and raise the question. Your mishap was fate trying to ask that question too. :lol:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Glad you made it. I think it's time for some construction so you can have a real "man cave."

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
Holy smokes! I get used to get P.Od when the automatic light in the garage goes out.
Sounds like a hell of a time, glad you're ok. :lol:

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Stuff happens at times for sure.

My office/man cave is in the basement. She who must be obeyed decreed that I can smoke as long as it is outside or in the garage. For now it's in the garage until the weather warms enough to be outside again. Probably by June. :)

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
lol I did too!

It's all good. It cracked my wife up. She had a great laugh over it.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Glad you are in one piece.
This should be an example to your wife that smoking in the garage is extremely dangerous, and can only be rectified by allowing you to smoke safely in your man cave.
Worth a shot. :roll:

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Apply some of your "ingenuity" on insulating the garage. That would be my #1 priority if it is that cold until June!?!?!

Jan 8, 2013
8O Are you certain you didn't have a few fingers of single malt before you had the bright idea about wrapping yourself up like Fort Knox?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I keep hearing stories about wives that won't let their husbands smoke in the house. After a twelve hour shift, if I can't kick back in my recliner with a pipe and a glass of scotch, my wife would be looking for a new place to live.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
@Shikano, I hear you brother. I'm faced with a similar situation at home, so I smoke at my office which is 12 miles from home and where she is not allowed. As someone said earlier, try to find a way to insulate your man garage.
@Chasingembers, we are not all Captains of the Black Figate or as tough as you are. And some of us, not sure who though, still care about what the wife says...
Cheers,
J

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not tough, the wife is a stay at home mom, and ALL of the bills, upkeep, taxes, etc. are on my shoulders. Her input is very important to me, but anything that brings comfort to these aging nerves goes. Add to the fact that I run the air purifier next to my recliner while I'm smoking, that....she...bought......hmmmmm....

Status
Not open for further replies.