PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
With my cancer, my dear wife and myself try to take mini breaks away. Sandra drove the first part of the journey from Portsmouth to Cornwall I drove the second part.

Boy has the heat wave ended, my journey was in thick rain. I don't drive much anymore, I was once the main driver but like most things have taken a back seat.

My first issue was when a driver driving far too fast for the conditions overtook me and flicked up a stone hitting my drivers window. I thought it had gone, then shore it had at least got a crack.

I was shocked when we stopped to fill up at the petrol station and it was OK.

Things didn't stay ok.

The hotel alows you to park but does not reserve your space, all the disabled areas were taken and the car park was a mess.

Had to use the lower one that went under the kitchen via an arch. The Hotel is over 100 years and cars have got big.

Got through and parked.

Latter a disabled space came free so thought!! (Keep thinking)

Why not move the car, but it meant going through the very tight arch, bit longer than an arch more a portcullis. Folded my mirrors but could not get a straight lineup from the car park. Thought I might have kissed the wall.

To my horror I had scraped the front drivers wing.

Can't blame a woman driver, now you know why I am oldmansmoking

Chimps probably better at driving than me.

img_0013.jpg

Tomorrow's another day!

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
God Bless on all your journeys. I do not have cancer, but I do know what it's like to make choices based on ability. I started up pipe smoking again to fog the air and clear my head.

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
Thank you cosmicbobo smoking the pipe helps put things in perspective. Your thoughts and words are all appreciated.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
oldmansmoking both my parents had cancer and managed to pull through, one day at a time, lots of bad moments but there is hope. Be strong dear sir, because hope dies last and with modern advancements now days there are several ways to beat this condition. If I have learned something about this from my family experience is that keeping your morale up is very important. Don't worry about the darn car, cars are divided into two categories those that have been bent/hit/scratched and repaired, and those that haven't already been bent/hit/scratched but will be. Focus on your disposition and do not let care for material things ruin your trip. God bless you, sir and be strong !!!

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
Thank you for your senior and thoughtful advice, madox07.

Sorry about your family, I am trying to be positive.
Kind regards and thanks
George

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Aw shucks, I thought this was going to be a thread about your day with the ponies. I'm not much of a horse track guy, but I have had some pleasant hours at Saratoga Springs and Belmont.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a tempting tunnel, alright. Most people feel they can drive considerably faster and more nimbly than they can. I think it would be fun to thread that needle at speed, but knowing me, I'd probably crawl through stopping to look fore and aft, or at least I hope that's what I'd do.

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
Hi a jay Padstow, great short brake. I like Guinness so enjoyed the Cornish stout. There equivalent of Guinness.

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
Thanks,

Spent a long time trying to get it back to some order. Never was going to be perfect.
Kind regards
George

Status
Not open for further replies.