PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctp

Lurker
Oct 14, 2013
Probably asked many times:

I love a bowl after a long day but my wife hates the way I smell after; even after a shower, brushing my teeth and gargling, she won't let me near her for a day or two! Yes, I know, find another wife; no, I need an answer.

Is there any sure way to get rid of tobacco breath quickly... I smoke Nightcap.

This is no joke, I need advice.
Tom

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Biotine for Dry Mouth does wonders, plus it helps with tongue bite. Oh and Welcome to the fourms!
EDIT: You might also consider that sometimes women have a psychological aversion to it and say your breath smells when it may not. Just the knowledge that you have smoked. Try smoking, showering, freshen your breath and not telling her you smoked see if she notices.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
+1 on Biotene as well... plus NightCap is pretty harsh... if you want to attract some bees...try a little sweeter flower... something that isn't as repelling anyway. I love nightcap too but... I love...umm... lovin' more.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Along with the mouth wash mentioned above, try getting a smoking jacket and hat, should help keep some of the smell off ya.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My breath stinks after smoking no matter what. If I know we're getting some "alone time" I smoke in the AM. I don't like breathing pipe smoke into her face (and she is not a fan either).

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
For me its an improvement over the cigarets. Never tried the biotine, I assume it is a mouth wash. I can definitely though add a +1 to a good tongue brushing. Smoker or not. But all the advise does not address the other issues of the rest of you. If even a shower doesn't fix the cloths and hair you are in a tough spot.
This is going to unintentionally sound funny, but maybe you could fabreeze your self for the cloths and hair. If it can get the smell of my dogs out of my sofa ITS gotta get the smell of nite cap out of you. You could also try smoking with a smokers candle going. The ones with the green dot in the center. They work good for the room anyway.
My only other thought is to try and find a tobacco the both of you like for when you are going to be closer together. Even the most avid anti smoker has said ohhh that smells good to my chocolate aro.
My best wishes!

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
She'll get used to it. Mine used to complain and make me spray down with smoker's spray before bed. You can buy it at rite-aid. It actually works. Now, I don't bother and she likes the smell because it smells like me.

doctp

Lurker
Oct 14, 2013
You guys are the BEST! I honestly did not think that I would get any replies at all.

So, is Biotene a mouthwash? I use Listerine, but will switch to a Biotene if it is better.

Is it available like breath mints, like "tic tacs?" or wintergreen?
Maybe I have to plan my pipe smoking for immediately after "alone time" lol.
Any good English blends that are not so tough and long lasting on the breath?
How about a great aromatic that is real quality and not the cheap, heavily cased garbage always seen?
Thanks, Tom

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Most women HATE English blends - it's the Latakia in it. Tastes delicious, smells awful to them. I just don't smoke it except when traveling, and even then I have come to prefer Virginia and VA/PER tobacco. My wife tolerates those much better. But I also use biotene, it seems to work best. I've oddly found that chocolate also negates the Latakia smell somewhat, but not all the way.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Try Boswells "Bear" Blend, a cross-over aro of sorts.

In addition to brushing my teeth often, I also brush my tongue before any swapping of spit (it helps a lot!)

I have not tried Biotene, will give that a shot.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Maybe I have to plan my pipe smoking for immediately after "alone time" lol.
This just came up the other day.

My wife said "Do you smoke after sex?"?

I replied, "I don't know ... I never looked down to see"! lol
Seriously though ... If the wife is anti-pipe it will be a slow battle with no winner, only compromises.
Any good English blends that are not so tough and long lasting on the breath?
How about a great aromatic that is real quality and not the cheap, heavily cased garbage always seen?
SG Chocolate Flake is a blend with a nice meld between Chocolate and Latakia.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
One more post-smoke bit of advice - hydrate. I use Biotene (along with a shower/face wash, brush teeth, etc. regimen), and it clears up most of the lingering smell (except with the stronger Latakia blends), but I always seem to wake up the next morning with an extra-dry mouth and some lingering breath issues that pretty much go away after drinking some water.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I find eating helps. We were in a bar somewhere having a few drinks last week and I was smoking my pipe, as you do, and she point blank refused to come anywhere near me. Half an hour later, after a big plate of fries and a coke, everything was normal again. This isn't an isolated experience either, I've found brushing your teeth etc doesn't make any difference too. I refuse to spend money on products like these sprays and things, cause it always goes away anyway. Plus if she wants to be able to smell it, then she will whether it's there or not

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
After smoking, brushing the teeth and using mouthwash, try chewing gum for about 15 minutes or so. Something like Dentine ice works well to clear up the breath.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Good point, I keep some Dentene in the car and a small container of mouth wash. I don't want to have pipe breath at work but sometimes have the opportunity to stop in a shop enroute.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Biotine also comes in a small spray bottle when you're on the go... great stuff!

Aug 14, 2012
I have bad breath even before smoking. My wife smokes a pipe now too, so she doesn't complain about it. Give your wife a can of tobacco, some pipecleaners, a tamper and a cob. If she smokes it, your relationship will improve. I should add, that you are wrong if you imagine my wife to be an old mountain hag. She is young, many years too young for me, very goodlooking and gainfully employed.

Status
Not open for further replies.