PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugfly

Lurker
Jun 7, 2012
As I've said in very new to pipe smoking. I've been smoking captain black white and to be honest I hate it. It's just flavorless to me. I hope it's just the tobacco because I don't want to stop! haha. Is it perhaps because I have not smoked enough bowls?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
CB/w should not be flavorless. Something's totally wrong here, and I can't imagine why.

What were you expecting it to taste like?

Do you come from a cigarette or cigar use background?

What are you looking for in the pipe smoking experience?

Why are you determined to stick with something you apparently don't enjoy?
The left hand column on this page has a list of featured articles. Check out those on packing methods, and we'll go from there.

rugfly

Lurker
Jun 7, 2012
It's not so much flavorless as not the flavor as I expect. Nothing like I've read as described. I may be looking for something more robust because I come from a cigar background. It not that I don't enjoy pipe smoking! I really like it. It's relaxing but I'm just looking for more I suppose.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I found CB to be mild as well, as an aro. Many guys on here seem to like 1Q, so you may try that. I don't smoke many aro's myself. If you are looking for flavor, I would suggest an English blend, perhaps Frog Morton, Larrys Blend, Americian Patriot, Margate, Penzance, Stonehaven, Nite Cap, Early Morning Pipe. A nice mild blend, but still tasty is Squadron Leader. Any of those blends would probably be satisfactory.

arabpipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2012
I am enjoying CB/white
The important thing which i only figure it last night is giving your tobacco the time to dry and that whats happen last night.
I am smoking W.O.Larsen Signature Mixture for over a months without tasting any special flavor but yesterday smoke was my 1st enjoyable smoke as i taste sherry flavor coming from nowhere after 1-2 hrs drying that relaxes me and keep me puffing asking for more.
2nd, you need to check other bends before judging the tobacco as i love CB blends out of other two i have tried (Borken Rief White and Medilton Block and Mild)
Hope that helps

Have a nice day and enjoyable smoke

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Rugfly,
If you're used to premium cigars, it's not unusual that you're unimpressed with Captain Black. It's made with fairly low quality leaf to which sugars and chemicals are added. And personally I don't think 1Q is much better.
Check out premium blenders like C&D and McClelland and look for a Virginia blend, a Virginia/Perique blend, a latakia blend and a burley blend. For now, I'd avoid aromatics and focus on the actual tobacco flavors.
Good luck.

Jul 12, 2011
Being a cigar smoker for many years, I would go with perhaps;
GL's Sextant

Low country's "Cooper" (from SP)

C&D's BB

C&D's Star of the East Flake

C&D's Crooked Lane

H&H's Magnum Opus and Blackhouse (from P&C)

NYPC's Jack's Shanty and Hell's Kitchen

SPC's Seattle Evening and Plum pudding
That should get those taste buds rock'in for ya ;-)
Also IMHO; the more complex the blend I find the shallow/

larger diameter bowls work best aka Pots (I have been on the

lookout for a good one myself )

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Yeah, if you are coming from a cigar background, I would guess a low end aro like CBW would not do it for you. Don't know what kind of cigars you smoked, but apply the same sort of standards. If you didn't buy cheap machine made cigars from the drug store, don't buy cheap over-processed pipe tobacco from them, either.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you smoked cigars like I did and exhaled using your nose, then CB will be mild and tasteless.
I started with latakia and perique blends and full strength perique blends looking for that huge nose hit. My tastes eventually changed and I no longer enjoy latakia but in the beginning these blends got me hooked on the pipe. I still enjoy my perique blends for their spicy strong flavors.
C&D Bayou Nights ( latakia/perique)
Frog Morton on the Bayou(latakia/perique)
Haddo's Delight(perique)
Escudo ( perique)
Start with those 4 and see if you like those a little better than CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.