PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flat4driven

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2009
Does anyone else notice a cigarette-like aroma lingering in a room/car after they've smoked a pipe and returned to that location a few hours later? I notice when I smoke in my car and I get in it a few hours later, it smells like cigarettes. It doesn't seem to be a certain tobacco as I notice it after I smoke many different kinds, Aromatics or not. Anyone else experience this and if so, how do I prevent it from happening?

flat4driven

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2009
Maybe that's what I'm smelling and I just relate it to cigarettes cause that's all I smell all day at work/school. It's not a pungent cigarette smell, it just doesn't smell like I feel they should.
For example, everyone always raves about the way 1-Q smells. I get compliments when I'm smoking it, but I never notice.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Your nose will, over time become more sensitive to the layers of aroma in smoke both past, and present. I know that when I started smoking everything smelled the same to me too.

flat4driven

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2009
I can't say I smoke often. Maybe twice a week if I'm lucky. My senses better catch up soon!

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Flat4driven,....you are NOT alone.
I smoked cigarettes for decades before switching to pipes for the next few decades.
Yes, you smell stale tobacco smoke and it can be nasty.
Just this morning I had to drive about one mile in my car,.....instead of letting my pipe go out before leaving and relighting it at my destination....I decided to smoke it in my closed up car for about a mile.

Got out, spent 30 minutes visiting, got back in the car and YUCK,....stale smoke that immediately reminded me of that old stale cigarette smell from 30 years ago.
And before anyone asks,...Bald Headed Teacher.

shotokun16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
I get a cigarette smell after smoking some penzance in my leather interior car. I think leather has to do something with it. There is an old trick that Car talk provided on NPR.
Car Talk: (by memory and the tip was given around 2009)
Kid: I'm about to pick up my parents from the airport but my car smells like cigarettes i was wondering what is the best way to get rid of the filthy odor and hide my cigarette addiction.

Brothers: (saying something hysterical and possibly explaining a humurous story regarding smoking and cars)

Brothers: Well kid this works almost all the time in our cars, by removing any foul odor in your car get a jar of coffee beans (strong aromatic ones), maybe a bucket and before placing the opened jar of coffee beans febreeze the bejeepper on your seats, floors, backseats, overhead panel, etc.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
You are probably smelling the burnt ashes. Once I stoped storing the ashes in the ash tray.......reduced dramaticlly.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Mule Head Brand Products . Stinks Gone is the best for any car smell . http://www.muleheadbrand.com/mule-head-brand-best-sellers.html

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I absolutely hate the smell of cigarettes. It clogs up my nose like hugging grandma and getting a whiff of 15 sprays of White Diamonds. For some reason pipe smoke doesn't do that to me. Thank heavens. :D I have smoked in my car before and didn't have any cigarette smell. I know this isn't helpful.
Hopefully this is. You may want to check to see if anything in your car is wet. I have found in the past when car interiors are moist they tend to hold smells more. So, if your car doors aren't sealed properly and moisture builds up in your car over night it will hold the smell. Same goes for wet floor mats.

oldjazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2011
Other than the ideas others have given. There is only one other thing I could suggest. A freind of mine used smoke be gone or something like that to hide his love for illeagal herbs from us others. I think it worked pretty good for him, until he quit caring what we thought.

flat4driven

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2009
Maybe, like a few of you said, it's just the fact that I'm smoking in my car and the fact that it's dead air in there creates the smell of stale tobacco. I'm sure moisture contributes to it also. I've never smoked in any enclosed area other than my car or a local B&M. It all makes sense now haha.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Bubba's use of coffee beans is what I used to use if I had an off putting smell in a trailer. When that last company I worked for sold the truck out from under me, it had a strong aroma of 5110. I spread some ground coffee around on the floor and the new owner didn't notice my tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.