PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Hey guys - sorry I've been absent for a while. A new job keeps me plenty busy - add a wife and two *almost teenage* daughters, and I just don't have much in the way of free time lately. I do try to keep up though when I can.
Anyway, I thought I'd share a photo I took this morning - a family of mergansers (these have a nice row of sharp teeth they use catch and eat trout), two kingfishers, and a family of foxes. The first pic is of my backyard, the rest is of the wildlife, hope you enjoy.
backyard-pana-600x400.jpg

This one below is of all three families in one pic: mergansers on the left, foxes in the middle and kingfishers to the right (it's to the far right of my backyard pic):
fox-merganser-kingfisher-600x400.jpg

fox-merganser-kingfisher2-600x400.jpg

fox-merganser-kingfisher3-600x400.jpg

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Great to see a post.
Not too shabby a backyard in which to smoke a pipe, either. 8)

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks a lot guys - yeah, I do feel lucky with a backyard like this.
Well, it's Christmas in July hearing from you Buddy, Wonderful pictures but hearing from you is better.
Thanks a lot Bradley - really great to see you too.
We have a family of Chimney Swifts that have moved into the building next door. They are fun to watch around dusk, darting about. Amazing fliers they are, cool to watch them zip about and then drop in chimney from high above.
Yes, I don't see Swifts here, but I have seen them and they are awesome flyers.
In our backyard, besides the above, we have two resident beavers, and we've seen deer, minks, blue heron, bald eagle, fishers, perrigrine falcon, ospreys, skunks, and the occasional bear is not too far off.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Love it! Get to see coyotes, foxes, bats, and a variety of birds in my backyard. Very excellent places to enjoy a bowl. Gorgeous pics!

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Wow, wonderful pics! Now that's some good scenery to sit back to with a pipe in hand!
Where on earth do you live?

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
Holy crap! Okay I have to ask. Where is that? What river? I'm an avid fly fisher, and only dream to live somewhere so accessible one day. Kudos to you man!

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
Six, it's great to hear from you sir, and I'm soooo envious of your back yard. :worship:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Six, good to see you here, great pictures. VT is a beautiful state, lived there for ten years '84-'94 in Burlington, but not attending groovy UV, just working for a living. Used to have to spend a fair amount of time driving to the "Kingdom". Worked in Burlington, Grand Isle, Charlotte, Middlebury, and Shelburne, just a beautiful state!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That is an absolutely beautiful back yard you have! A great place to enjoy a pipe and obviously a great place to enjoy nature up close. Very nice indeed! :puffy:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Great pics Six, of nature and the wildlife...and you definitely win first place in the most impressive back yard contest. It would almost make having to smoke outside worth it. Good to see you on the forum again as well.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Welcome back Six, glad to hear all is well. I imagine the morning cup of coffee and a pipe never gets old with view like that. Wow!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Beautiful setting & nice pics, Six. I have a skulk of fox that live around me. Around here they seem to be making a comeback. I really enjoy hearing the prolonged call of the cubs of an evening.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks a lot guys fo the welcme back - I hope to be here more often - not easy these days!
And thanks for all of the nice comments on the backyard - I admit I feel plenty lucky to be able to enjoy it. And yes, a cup of coffee and pipe is really nice on the back deck. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.