PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smeaton

Lurker
Dec 10, 2011
Hi everyone,
To those of you who backpack, how many pipes would you carry along with you on a weekend or full week backpacking trip?
Thanks

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
I don't personally mix the two. High dollar down products do not do well with ash holes burned through the nylon shell.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I used to backpack for many years over the mountains of the UK and Europe, I only ever carried one pipe, a Petersons Rustic 309 that spent years living in my backpac, years ago we never rotated pipes as we do today, a plentiful supply of pipe cleaners used to suffice. Equipment wasn't so lightweight so a collection of pipes was out of the question, a healthy supply of tobacco was another story :wink:

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
I usually take a couple cobs with me, kept in a designated pouch. (or the left cargo pocket of my BDUs)
Lately, I've been using my Bavarian Cob "The Huntsman" I made for camping/hiking trips. It hangs very nicely from my teeth without me having to fiddle with it much, and makes for a good "as I'm doing something else" kinda pipe. I have a carbiner cliped to it now so the pipe just clips on/off a paracord belt loop I made, or it can clip to the outside of my ruck.
6813134579_cfd2dfb61a_z.jpg

smeaton

Lurker
Dec 10, 2011
I used to backpack for many years over the mountains of the UK and Europe, I only ever carried one pipe, a Petersons Rustic 309 that spent years living in my backpac, years ago we never rotated pipes as we do today, a plentiful supply of pipe cleaners used to suffice. Equipment wasn't so lightweight so a collection of pipes was out of the question, a healthy supply of tobacco was another story
8) This precisely fits my preconceived notion. :lol:

fishineric

Lurker
Feb 5, 2012
I take 2 of the MM hardwoods. Smoke one all day, then take the "fresh" one out of the pack for an evening smoke and use that one the next day. Each pipe gets smoked a few times then gets 24 hours rest. I like the MM's, they're light and cheap enough that I don't cry like a girl when I inevitably drop one over a cliff/in a river etc..

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
I like the cob idea I usually bring one pipe with me for camping, hunting, hiking etc. If your concerned about space try a jet pipe like this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1950s-JET-PIPE-Pocket-Rocket-Shape-Aluminum-Nose-Cone-Italian-Estate-/230745724270?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b984556e#ht_4401wt_1396
nice and flat.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Smeaton, I travel every week for work. I take two, sometimes three. Usually not my best ones. Loaded for this week, my trusty Pete harp 999 (my go-to pipe for Va/Per and the usual stuff, goes with me all the time, gets cleaned on Saturday, rests on Sunday), then I take one pipe from the set I dedicate to Aro's. This week my Sav 616 tevere. The third one is just whatever I fancy or a new-break in or something. Then an ounce of two or three baccy's. One open tin, usually a flat one like erinmore, golden sliced, etc... The Larger tins are too big in my carry-on.
When I used to backpack, which I did for years, one solid pipe that could take a beating, one spare pipe, enough tobacco to last for a week or two (which was four pouches of Drum, Ajja or Amphora for me back then), zippo lighter and fuel (in a thick ziplock bag, wrapped with rubber bands.. It only needs to spill once and you'll remember :rofl: ).
Now, when weekend camping, one pipe, one baccy (two to three ounces), one Bic lighter for the weekend.
Hope this helps.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I am considering going to the mountains for 3-6 months. Just free travelling tru them. I'll prob take 3 non- filters with me. 2 cobs and a Grabow will do the trick.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
It depends on the kind of backpacking I am doing. For a weekend outing I take a Peterson system pipe, the pack well and mine aren't so expensive I would I couldn't replace them. For something a little longer I grab a couple of cobs, thy're light, cheap, and smoke great.

Status
Not open for further replies.