PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Hey, Harris, how was your back surgery? What procedure did you have? My wife is going to have back surgery soon and just wanted to get a feel for the whole thing. Appreciate any good words you could give. Thank you

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
If your wanting a reply from just Harris you should send him a private message, there's a link to do so right under his name whenever he posts. Best wishes to you and your wife for the surgery, stay off of steroid injections as much as you can, they will complicate the issue greatly.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
Understand. Thank you. Steroid facette injection was to confirm the exact spot she needed the surgery. It is giving her temporary relief before the surgery next month.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
I had a lower lumbar laminectomy in 2003. I went from barely able to do anything, sitting, standing, or otherwise without dreadful pain, to walking around with zero pain (didn't even push the morphine button) overnight. Two side effects as a result of my surgery: My left calf muscle was completely paralyzed upon waking from the surgery. After about six months, I had regained full use of the muscle. Also, the back of my left thigh was, and still remains to this day completely numb... but if you ask me, numb is way better than dreadful pain!

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
Thank you for the kind words. Her problem is in L4-5 and L2-3. She has stenosis, arthritis, bulge disk, a cyst pinching nerve on L4-5 and damage at L2-3 that will probably result in fusing on its own. The fusion will be in L4-5. This will help a great deal but not eliminate all of her pain but make her quality of life much better than what it is now.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mustang, I have had 2 surgeries in the last 3 years, one to remove a synovial cyst and the latest was a laminectomy on the L2,3 and 4. The surgery was in March and I just began playing tennis again last week. It has taken time and it still gets pretty sore from sitting or being on my feet too long but it is getting better. I also have severe spinal stenosis so this is not going away, and it sounds like your wife is is the same boat.
The only advice I can give is to make sure here doctor is a neurosurgeon who is not too quick about suggesting a spinal fusion with the titanium cage. My doctor said that is a last resort. The techniques they use today can definitely get your wife's quality of life to be much better, just remember it does take time to recover and do not rush things. I hope she feels much better after her surgery.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I would also add.. she should do exactly what she allowed to do and nothing more. attend as much PT as they want her to do and continue religiously with the home exercises.

Status
Not open for further replies.