Back In The Saddle Again (PAD/TAD, That Is)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Well, i had a good run at pipe and tobacco buying abstinence over the past few months but like they say, "all good things must come to an end". I don't count the 1lb. ODF that i bought a couple weeks ago with the P&C 20% special, that was just a no-brainer and a necessary acquisition. That being said, I have 2 new briar additions to my stable that are en route as i type, plus around a pound of tobacco.
The tobacco list is as follows from SP and i might add that i have not tried any of these blends yet except the H&G unscented dark flake, which is just delicious and i am just restocking a little bit with that one. Feel free and please comment on these blends if you have tried them, regardless of whether it was a positive or negative experience.
Cornell & Diehl 2 oz. tins of each:
Old Joe Krantz

Exhausted Rooster

Burley Flake #1

Burley Flake #2

Burley Flake #3

Night Train

FREE 1/2 oz. Pirate Kake
First pipe is this new Ropp blasted billiard with horn stem. Light as hell, plenty of chamber and just gorgeous for the price. I have been looking at those Ropp vintages with the horn stems for months and months, ever since SP did the story on how they acquired the decades old briar and resurrected them from their hiding places. I've never been this excited on such an inexpensive pipe before, lol. Especially considering the age on the briar AND the horn stem, to boot. Truly looking forward to this sub 1 oz. beauty, that shows great promise in being an excellent clencher.
002-598-0384.jpg

The other pipe is a barely used Steve Morrisette blasted bent scoop/egg with a chocolate contrast finish and cumberland stem. I won it on flea bay for a steal of a price, especially considering the quality of pipes that Steve has been putting out for years and how much they retail for. Anyone who thinks there are not great deals to be had on ebay is either impatient or does not know how to work the system. I'm not even talking about sniping either, as i have not once won a pipe this way. I'm just talking about knowing how to find the right pipes from the right sellers that everyone and their father is not watching.
This pipe is coming directly from Steve himself and was made this year, which i think is even cooler. I am not positive as i have not heard back from the email i sent him, but i think this is a pipe he made for himself and he is the only person who has owned it. At least that's what it appears to be to me.
Anyways, here is some pics Steve posted on the listing. I'll update on both pipes once i smoke them to give my impressions/opinions, all of yours are certainly welcomed and appreciated! Cheers and happy puffing!
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have on of those Ropp K77 pipes as well. You will not be disappointed with that purchase. I fell in love with mine, and have since bought 2 more from the series (different shapes though).
Also, the horn stems are very clench-able, just be gentle as they do feel a little delicate!
Enjoy, and congrats on the new acquisitions!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Sweet Neil, thanks for the info/review! It didn't look like it was possible for them to be bad smokers for the age of the briar, reputability of the Ropp brand and the heavy endorsement by the fine knowledgeable folks over at SP. If my suspicions are right, they are one of the best deals of a pipe, in terms of bang for your buck, out there on the market right now. Plus they are just downright gorgeous with the black blasted bowls and creamy white and tan horn stems. Doesn't get much better than that.
Tim, lol i don't blame you for pulling the trigger. I honestly shouldn't have done it right now, but i know that if i didn't then there wouldn't be another chance at it, as there is only a limited number of these that SP has in their inventory. I also shouldn't have added a pound of tobacco with the order either but hey, gotta get that free shipping, right?! Lol.

Dec 24, 2012
Both are lookers but the blast on that Morissette is marvellous. Is that a real horn stem? I have never smoked one - what is it like in the mouth?

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Thanks guys. Peck, i agree on the Morrisette and it weighs in at 1.2 oz., should be a great looker as well as a clencher. Claude, that's unfortunate you got a dud. What shape was it and was it recently? I'm not sure how the stem will feel in the mouth, but i put the rubber tips on all my pipes anyways so i don't think it will make too much of a difference. The key is that it is feather-light, weighing in at an ounce even IIRC.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
So an update on these two pipes. I got them both in the past week and have had a chance to run a couple bowls through each. The Ropp looks very nice and the contrast between the sandblasted dark bowl and white/ivory and tan horn stem really compliment each other. It is light as a feather and smokes cool, smooth and without issue. The stem is a lot narrower and thinner than i had thought and a softie bit doesn't even come close to fitting it, it just slides right down. No worries, i'll just have to work on keeping a loose grip on it between my teeth without a bit. So far, so good. For the price they are charging, it is an EXCELLENT value for a damn fine looking pipe more along the looks of earlier 20th century pipes of old. SP keeps putting up more and more of these vintage gems, but they seem to disappear as quickly as they are added. Definitely money well spent and i would highly recommend scooping one up if you have the PAD itch.
20140917_225942-600x450.jpg

20140917_225917-600x450.jpg

20140917_225850-600x450.jpg

The Steve Morrisette pipe is an absolute beauty as well and smokes fantastic. It looked better in person than it did from the listing. It is feather light and a small and compact clencher. I find myself leaning towards lighter and smaller pipes lately and i think when i thin my herd, the big and heavy burners will be the first on the auction block to go. Anyways, the pipe feels great in the mouth and you barely notice it is there at all. The blast is stunning and Steve did a great job bringing out the relief in the grain, as well as some birdseye along the rim. It provides an hour plus smoke and the cumberland stem really pops with the stain that Steve used on the pipe's finish, a milk chocolate color. I'd highly recommend checking out Steve's work if you're in the market for a quality American artisan pipe.
20140918_165059-600x450.jpg

20140918_165111-600x450.jpg

20140918_1651261-600x450.jpg

20140918_165147-600x450.jpg

20140918_165232-600x450.jpg

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Thank you wyfbane, much appreciated brother!
May I inquire as to the dimensions of the Morrisette pipe? It is a looker.
elpfeife, absolutely. They are as follows.
L: 5 " W: 1 3/8"
H: 1 3/4" Bore: 3/4 "
Bowl Depth: 1 3/8"
Weight: 1.2oz. /35 g.
The bent shape combined with the length and feather light weight really make it almost unnoticeable when clenching in your mouth. It is one of the most comfortable clenchers i own. Simple yet defined and attractive.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Claude, check out the Ed Andrew Estate Score thread i made as well yesterday. I got a killer deal on a nice E. Andrew smooth Canadian.
I got one more PAD relapse up my sleeve that should be at my house when i get home. Another killer score, i'll post a thread with pics this weekend. It's a Briar Bird bent tomato with a 3 knuckle bamboo extension and cumberland stem. It looks beautiful from the pics and i couldn't believe i won it at the price i bid!

Status
Not open for further replies.