PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2019
I have made my return to pipe smoking all dressed in black. Why am I in black you say? Because, McClellands. Between Black Shag, Arcadia, and Frog Morton all being gone in one fell swoop (Black shag being my #1), I'm not sure what to smoke. I was never well versed in pipe tobacco, but now that my go tos are gone I am completely lost. I am afraid I will never taste anything as good as that smokey shag cut 221b series again. Can anyone help point me to something similar?

Mar 25, 2019
I was actually looking at SPC Plum Pudding. It lessens the blow, but still heartbreaking(yes I know McClellands is old news)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Over the past thirty years I've seen many a favorite disappear. That's why I advocate hoarding cellaring.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
You might try using TobaccoReviews.com's search facility as a starting point to find blends with similar ingredients. Reading all the reviews for Black Shag might provide some insight.

Good luck in your quest. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People enjoy recommending blends, as do I, but no one can shop your tobacco for you. First, go back to those favored blends and list their constituent tobaccos, to help you look for similar blends. Nothing will be just the same, so prepare for that. Buy only in small quantities -- an ounce in bulk, a pouch, one tin. Save what you don't like in a jar and try it later. Even if you like something very much, don't buy in quantity for a year or two, since your tastes will change. I think it is likely true that there have never been as many good blends available as now, so enjoy that aspect. Read reviews. Get samples at pipe shops or shows if you can. C&D and Seattle Pipe Club are doing good work these days, as are quite a few others. Don't overlook Lane, Sutliff, and D&R. There's plenty to sample and some you'll enjoy.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Welcome from the SC Piedmont, chuck! Glad to have you here! :)
I definitely second Cortez's recommendation about tobaccoreviews.com . One of the primary guys here is also there (JimInks), & is known far/wide for his dead-on & completely truthful assessment of blends. Absolutely you should check his stuff out. (Here you'll see him mostly, but not exclusively, in the What Are You Smoking forum.)
Bill

Mar 25, 2019
Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate the advice. I've found a few I'm going to try. The SPC Plum Pudding is a pretty good candidate I think. I've also got to call the local tobacconist back tomorrow morning and see what he was able to find. I can seem to find the right type of blends that are worth trying, it's harder to find them in the shag cut. I was almost thinking if I could find some rope or something I may be able to cut it to my preference. I used to smoke but even then was a relative newbie.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
One other benefit of Tobacco Reviews is that most of the time, the reviewer will mention similar blends in their review. This will give you some info on where to look for similar available tobaccos.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You have to stay nimble with your selection of blends in the next few years. Blends will disappear that have never disappeared before.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I, too, loved Black Shag. For something kinda similar, you might try Old Dark Fired or Bold Kentucky. They're not the same as Black Shag, but they're very good and have a similar natural tobacco flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.