PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
I'm not an avid fisherman, but I joined some family members on a salmon fishing vacation. We spent 10 days on Vancouver Island, BC. We spent two days fishing at Moutcha Bay Resort (no affiliation) on the west coast. The Kings were active and I managed a couple each day along with a Coho, and a Ling Cod. I only brought home 15 lbs. of smoked Kings as I was on a commercial flight, we had a great time.
I didn't take a lot of pictures, but here is a picture of three of the fish from the second day.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
Smoked fresh Coho and Chinooks are the best!

Fly rodding with streamers?

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I'm am avid fisherman/hunter/general outdoorsman and I must say I'm jealous. That's a fantastic trip and some good eatin' and good times on the water. Those are nice looking fish too! I've never been out there fishing and it would be pretty sweet!

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Nice catch, trailspike. Looks like a great trip.
I just got back from a four day trek to Montauk, fishing for albies and stripers with my son. We only got out two days on my sons boat, due to weather, and one day we were socked in with fog. Hard to sight fish in the fog, and all we caught was one scup and a bunker, both are uncommon on a fly.
Wish the fishing was as good as yours, but it was worth the time spent with my son.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Congrats on your luck and fine looking catch I must say. I bet those Kings are a lot better eating than the fresh water ones that are from the Great Lakes. Salt run Salmon are superb. Glad you had a spectacular time.

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
We did have a good time.
Fly rodding with streamers?
The Kings were still in the Bay waiting for the river to reach the correct level, we were trolling with plugs and shiny lures. We caught the Coho offshore, and the Ling Cod was caught at 90 ft. with a plug that was nearly on the bottom when it hit, just luck.
My brother in law caught some Chum Salmon on the east side in the Oyster River using pink flies. The fly fishing was only for experts considering the number of people fishing the river. The expert part left me on shore as a spectator.
Cavendish, I live near the Snake River in Eastern Idaho, If you wanted to try the fishing here, you or other forum member are welcome to a place to stay. Just save enough energy to share a pipe afterward.

Status
Not open for further replies.