PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
and I was not impressed.
Cozumel and Key West were nice, but the food on the boat was awful, there was nothing to do during the day except to sit by the pool and drink from sunup to sundown. I don't even sit in front of my own pool.
There was entertainment in the evening, but that was only for a few hours.
Could not smoke the pipe because the wind was too much.
I always hate to leave my business behind on any vacation. I usually take my laptop to at least answer emails from customers and/or business partners. I receive between 400-600 a day. But my wife insisted the business could wait till we got back, and she talked me into leaving the 'puter home. So I had 3178 emails to go thru when I got back. That task caused me to dislike the cruise even more.
Thank God my wife was not impressed with the cruise either, because that means I don't have to go through that again!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Welcome Home and Merry Christmas!
That is a real shame about your cruise. My son and I went on a cruise to (well from) Alaska this last summer and it was AWESOME!!
Silver lining like you said, though: You don't have to shell out $$ on a cruise again and they are spendy.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I really fail to see how a cruise is a good time. Several of my coworkers are always counting down the days to their next cruise. If they had a cigar smoking lounge I might be tempted but like Indiana said, what is there to do? And then if you visit the islands you need to be careful because fraud is rampant at the merchants. You get home from a nice cruise and a week later find out you just bought $1000 worth of jewelry. I guess a smaller cruise like wyfbane mentioned would be cool since you can see a lot of nature and what not. Lets not forget all the nasty bugs that can rear their ugly head and cause everyone to get sick or idiot captains who abandon ship at the first sign of trouble or even Mother Nature getting pissed off and throwing some rogue waves at you.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Yeah, I know it is apples and oranges. Our cruise started in Seward, an hit the glaciers one day, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait, and Ketchikan other days. Food was great. Took II (my son is a II, not a JR) to our one fancy dinner and then an onboard restaurant 2 other times. We swam a lot watched stuff. I went to art auctions onboard. It was fun!
In fact it was amazing because I didn't have internet or cable tv the entire week and it was just fine. We had a cigar bar on the tailfan and I was free to smoke out there and read. SO NICE.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
wyfbane - the Alaska cruise is the one I'd like to do. I've been to Alaska many times but never on a cruise.
trailboss, my wife won the trip cause she bought a new car. That's the only reason why I went along. Other than an Alaska cruise, the idea never excited me.

adam12

May 16, 2011
At least some woman didn't report you for smoking your pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'frank, you've done us all a favor pointing out the potential shortcomings of cruise vacations. Many people

like to be taken care of and have the food and drink flow in their direction and don't mind the unending

exposure to strangers or temporary "friends." Some Alaskan cruises and some river cruises, and maybe

a few thematic ocean cruises offer more time off the ship/river boat and aren't quite as socially stressful,

but it's difficult to pick out which cruises they are. People with mobility problems, or other health problems,

who can't navigate the rigors of self-initiated travel rely on cruises to get away from home. Be glad you're

not in that boat, so to speak. Happy future travels by some other means. My one major ocean cruise years

ago involved the United States Navy and the coastal combat zone off the DMZ of Vietnam and provided an

expense paid, earn-your-own-way means of seeing the world while listening to small arms fire and defending

against swimmer sappers bearing mines while in harbor. It was ... exciting. After underway replenishment,

I went around and collected four or five airline bottles of brandy supplied by the corpsman from non-drinkers

and had a happy hour and long nap warming up from my ocean bath.

Status
Not open for further replies.