PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I bought the $3 download to Kindle last night and finished it this evening. For those who don't know about the Falcon pipes, this will give you the whole story plus some insight into what a great American business man can do with nothing more than tenacity. The book has nothing at all to do with pipe smoking but rather it details the origins of Mr. Buggs radical invention of the Aluminum bodied smoking pipe and the marketing genius of G. L. Hunt. Written by Kathy Worth, Hunts Grandaughter, it follows along as she sifts through business memos, financial reports and the day to day dealings that were well documented by Mr. Hunt as he built an empire around manufacturing for Falcon industries and also discusses the entire evolution of all the design changes, the introduction to the UK and subsequent manufacture over there and into the Emerald Isle.
Not ever really being a big fan of any of the metal pipes, the book has left me wanting to own an old Falcon Hunter if for no other reason than just to have an iconic piece of pipe smoking history.
Two things that I found very interesting:
Barling turned many of the high quality bowls for the London Falcons
Had it not been for the influx of cheap knockoffs like Viking and others back in the 50's, Falcon pipes would have went the way of the Do-Do bird. The patent lawsuit forced Hunts company and Falcon (who were sueing each other) had to join forces to fend off the counterfeiters and the two ended up dropping their respective issues.
All in all a good and very interesting read and I highly recommend it to anyone even slightly interested in tobacciana.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Yes, I bought that book on my Kindle a few months back. An interesting read, especially the differences in the U.S. and English pipe markets.
Dave

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
It is amazing how well the Falcon sold globally and that the manufacturers on both sides of the Atlantic (for a few years) found and turned out the high quality briar bowls with out interruption. We are talking 100's of thousands of pipes per quarter, not just a few hundred. The innovative minds that collaborated across the globe made it possible for Falcon pipes to be one of the best selling product of its kind for over 40 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.