Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Pipe smoking makes everything better, and A. Miller proved it after he abstained for a year, and has just come back.
Read his brave tale here.

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-smoking-lifestyle/a-year-without-tobacco-thank-god-its-over/

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I did a long hiatus to support my late wife who quit a multi-pack cigarette habit after many years. I did cigars on business trips, with her approval. As a widower, I bought a new pipe from a carver who sells at our state fair, and especially used this to help get through some medical hard times with my second wife, with her in rehab, etc., when a refreshing beverage wouldn't have helped during those demanding times. Up early, off hours, long commutes at night, etc. I still have my first pipes from decades ago, so there is continuity. At least my experience was entirely voluntary. No one asked me to quit or held anything over my head about it. But it has been a long journey. I keep my pipe smoking extremely moderate. My modest cellar will last me for years. But I share a certain familiarity with this experience. As a footnote, my late wife's shortened life had nothing to do, so far as medical science knows, with her heavy smoking, but was from an unrelated cause.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Very interesting read. Kind of like being a kid in a candy store after not having the chance to go for a while. So many blends...so many pipes...it's a special kind of day...to the cob and the HH ODF we go! Gotta love the excitement for pipe smoking that he shares.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
That was a nice read, I remember reading about it when he started. Time went far faster for me I am sure.

Aug 14, 2012
I quit last August after having severe heart pains smoking a cigar. Stayed off cigars but was back smoking a pipe after a few months, limited to one a day. Quit again last April after having significant chest pains. I have stayed off since then. It has been difficult, but manageable. My office/den looks like a tobacconist's shop. That hasn't changed much. It makes me comfortable. I will be offering Dunhills for sale again whenever I am not too lazy to do photos. Am also hoarding lots of tobacco no longer made. When it is a little more aged will post that on this site as well. I miss smoking, but choose life, at least for now. When life becomes too troublesome, will probably go back to the pipe again.

Status
Not open for further replies.