PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madtohkin

Lurker
Apr 29, 2015
I am new to pipe smoking and have been looking for smell I remember as a kid when a family friend would light up a bowl. Suffice to say, no luck. I have tried only aro's so far. H&H Berry Nice and Caramel Apple Pie, 1Q, Cherry and Tropical Cavendish and Irish Cream and Rum Maple from Tobacco Galleria. Some people have told me to try half and half or other over the counter baccy. That's next. To me these aro's don't have much flavor just smell good in the pouch. I want something that tastes good. Heard Frog Morton is good but they have like 4 different blends. Any suggestions, maybe trade for a bowl of some FrogM?

Mar 30, 2014
wv
All smell and no flavor is the norm for a lot of aromatics. I recommend Lane 1Q for a great starter blend. It has a nice room note and tastes pretty good as well. I smoke it when we have company. win/win
Welcome to the forum and the hobby. Checkout the Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions section at the top of the main forum page.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/forum/pipe-smoking-basics-amp-beginner-questions
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/39894/lane-1-q/

madtohkin

Lurker
Apr 29, 2015
I did try a blend from a local shop called 1Q. Don't know if it's the same as Lanes 1Q. Would u suggest the Frog Morton?

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
Most B&M Shop's 1Q is not the same as Lane's; at least not the ones that I have been to. I would try some Frog Morton to see if you like it. Welcome to the brotherhood and the quest for finding that perfect tobacco is infinite with so many blends to try!

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
Aromatics, to me are best enjoyed by not so much tasting the Cherry, Vanilla, Maple, or what have you, but by

the 'Flavor' one receives through the olfactory senses. When the smoke exits your mouth, it rises to the nose and that's the way I found to 'taste' and come to appreciate Aro's.
I never tried Frog Morton, but like you see great reviews on the stuff.
, I remember as a little guy my next door neighbor who smoked a pipe and I would be able to tell when he got home from work because I would be able to smell his pipe. I suspect his blend was Mixture NO.79.

I'm in the camp of trying Mixture 79 and liking it too!
Good luck on your search @Madtohkin

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Welcome to the site! Lane 1Q is good. Sutliff Molto Dolce is another favorite, as well. If you like berries, get Dan tobacco 'Devil's Holiday'. The stuff is magical.
Good luck in your journey.

madtohkin

Lurker
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks for the help. This is going to be harder than I thought. As they say, greatness is worth the effort. Anyone heard of Hobbits Weed? From what I have heard it is a must try. Only downfall is you have to pay for signed delivery, I guess because the state laws in regards to shipping tobacco.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I'd try Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Sir Walter Religh, Sir Walter Religh Aromatic, Half and Half, and Middleton's Cherry Blend. One of those is bound to be the smell you remember. All are great classic smokes.

madtohkin

Lurker
Apr 29, 2015
Just bought some half & half and Captain Black white. Thanks guys, ohh, what does b&m stand for? I see it a lot on the forums

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard. For over-the-counter blends, you might try a pouch of Carter Hall. It has some flavor, and it mixes well with more expensive blends for a thrifty everyday smoke. For starters, keep your quantities small, a pouch or one or two ounces of bulk, until you discover what you like. Personally, for a really mild aromatic, I like Lanes LL-7, a sibling of 1-Q, but to me a little more flavorful, but I mostly enjoy non-aromatics of many different kinds, among them full-strength burleys, but take it slow until you get your footing.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
B&M = Brick and Mortar. Your local tobacconist if there's one near you. Lanes 1-Q is the number 1 bulk seller in the shop I work at. Roughly 5 or more pounds a week bought by walk in customers, we don't do web sales so that tells you how popular it really is. Lanes RLP-6 is a close second in the aromatic dept. Trying to find the source of that ancient room note is worth chasing but you may never find the exact match since even the long standing OTC blends have changed over the decades. Welcome to the forums!

Status
Not open for further replies.