PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I just went to my local state store (PA) to buy Bacardi 151. I have only used this fine rum to clean and restore my pipes (please don't take this to the gutter) The salesperson told me that Barcardi has stopped production of it. Does anyone know if this is true? I had to buy Everclear which I know will work, but it will not have same fine aroma I enjoy while doing my usual pipe maintenance .

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks for the advice. The Everclear I purchased is in a large bottle. It will take me months to finish it. By that time perhaps the new bottles of Bacardi 151 will be available.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
They discontinued my Orinoco back in 2009. Glad 151 will still be around.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm glad 151 is coming back, but I really dislike plastic bottles, even for cola or water. I think it does affect the flavor.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The people who work at the Pa state store are a bunch of numbnuts. There isn't one time that I don't help someone find what they are looking for because I know their stock better than they do. I used to buy Pusser's Navy Rum quite often and when I asked why they didn't have it any more they told me that they never carried it. If they weren't unionized I'd fire every one of them and replace them with real professionals.

You'r lucky you could buy Everclear. When I tried several years ago I was told that I needed a doctor's prescription. So I bought a half gallon in Delaware at a much lower cost.

I hate those people.

May 4, 2015
Ah, yes. The PA Package store. I got out of there before I reached purchasing age. Quite a difference between there and here where you can buy beer, wine and liquor at every gas station and grocery store 24 hours a day.
Want to get wrecked on Sunday, even if it's midnight AND Christmas morning? No prob.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
@Captain Black Mustache: yeah, I'm missing Orinoco, my favorite Cachaça. Gave away my last bottle to my son's Brazilian friend several years ago, thinking that I could easily get a replacement. My son's in-laws alway bring me a bottle of Cachaça when they visit from Brazil: Santa Rosa Special VIII, Cobiçada Zara Man Daia, & Cobiçada Ouro. I still liked Orinoco best.

Jan 8, 2013
Bacardi 151 has indeed been taken out of production. Bacardi had been sued numerous times over 151 and chose to not continue the battle.
I'll never understand how people can sue a company over their own, or someone else's stupidity. If you put a flame to mouth of the bottle of 151 it's your own damn fault if you burn your face off. The bottle says flammable for a reason. If you get a hot coffee from McDonalds in the morning and you spill it in your lap because you're a klutz, it's you're fault for being a klutz, not McDonald's. The cup says "caution hot" for a reason. If you put your hand on a running chainsaw blade..... yeah, you're own fault for being stupid.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
3d degree burns, if I recall. Far, far hotter than coffee should be. Failure to maintain equipment. Or is there something else?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Woods, they actually kept jacking the temp up despite warnings. The pictures clearly depict horrendous burns. Not just "hot" coffee. Boiling coffee.

Jan 8, 2013
Unfortunately, they can't seem to find 12 Anthony Rosenthals to serve on a jury.
Clone me! The McDonalds comment was simply an example of any fast food joint or restaurant serving hot products in a cup clearly marked "caution hot," not any particular case. If a company was following unsafe practices leading to a consumers injury, then yes, by all means the company is liable in my opinion. But years ago, when I worked various different restaurants, I saw that kind of thing first hand. Someone spilling their coffee at Burger King, or Auju sauce at Arby's and then attempting to sue the company.
Edit to add: And to stay with the original topic.... I am deeply upset that 151 is gone for good.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I finished off my 151 bottle last week. Poured the last bit into a half-pint jar for dipping pipecleaners. Bought a bottle of Cruzan 151 today to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.