PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarbird

Can't Leave
Dec 7, 2011
Tomorrow is my birthday (no, this is not a shameless plug for birthday wishes...) so I thought I would pick out a nice piece of briar to make myself a pipe. I have some olive colored ebonite coming as well. I thought I would post some progress pictures as I make this pipe, for those of you that are interested. Hopefully this turns out to have very little pits in it because there is some beautiful grain in this one. If not... I will blast it :lol:

bdayis.jpg

bday1s.jpg

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Happy birthday. Before I saw that shot of the pencil drawing on the block I was wondering to myself, hmmmmmm...will he go with the natural tendency of the grain in that first pic and make a dublin shape or turn it upside down and go for a tapered billiard or apple shape. That is going to be a nice looking pipe birthday boy.
Cheers.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Happy b-day! You are planting seeds with these pics... Never had a desire to carve my own pipe, but it's been awakening over the past few weeks. Gonna be fun to watch this take shape. (your pipe!)

briarbird

Can't Leave
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks so much guys! I will be sure to post a pic or two of progress with every step. Unless of course that is annoying is all hell...

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
No no no you're doing it all wrong!
Spikes! This pipe must be SHARP. You will be hounded on your birthday by spankings and beatings and 38 ear flicks all day long.
This pipe you create must be a pipe... AND A WEAPON.
Razor sharp edges are a must. The stem must be made of surgical steel that was once used by doctor Kavorkian himself.
The grain will be sure to strike fear in thier hearts. As long as you dye it with a deep contrasting blood-red, and souldless-black.
Happy birthday. Good luck on making it to your next without a pipeblade. :twisted:

briarbird

Can't Leave
Dec 7, 2011
Spartan, next year for my 32nd birthday I will be sure to make the briar bazooka or something similar :lol:

briarbird

Can't Leave
Dec 7, 2011
Sp, a few things, first off, I probably should have posted the subject as "Soon to be Pic Heavy" Sorry about that. So today's progress has been using my hand saw to take some briar off (I need to get a bandsaw very soon), and then I use a sanding pad on an arbor to do some rough shaping. Afterwards I have drilled my mortise and air passage, then to the bowl, which I made 3/4 of an inch wide, this is usually how I like my chambers. When this was all done, I chucked my sanding disc back on and did some more rough sanding. I decided that I wanted to do a shank extention of palm wood so I have attatched that as well, and some more rough sanding. Now I must wait for my olive straight grained ebonite to arrive so I can start my stem work, and as the great Tom Petty has said, "the waiting is the hardest part." On a side note, today I got the best birthday I could ever have gotten. My wife found out today that she was hired in as the new fulltime kindergarten teacher! This is a pretty big deal as she has been subbing for 6 years in our school district and no jobs have been available until now. So congrats to my love!

bday3x.jpg

bday4.jpg

bday5x.jpg

bday6.jpg

bday7.jpg

bday8.jpg

bday9c.jpg

bday10.jpg

bdaye.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.