PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Some great opening shots of Baku, great architecture, fine looking city.
I think I spotted Javan in the spectator section, though it's only a qualifying day. ESPNU, Ch. 208 on DIRECTV®.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Of course he's on a very different time differential. Only 11 hours difference from my time on the West Coast! So he might well have been around and awake when I posted.
IAE, no, I didn't spot him in the practice rounds, but it wasn't a "jab", at least in the way I use the term.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

8AM ESPN2 Sunday... I'll be watching. It's almost May. :puffy:

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I have never had any interest in F1 so I don't even go to the downtown during the races except today. A cigar and whisky reviewing lady from Canada was visiting Azerbaijan with his boyfriend for the event and they are both cigar smokers. I managed to meet them in one of the cigar lounges and spent some good time. We discussed lots of stuff including tobacco, sports, politics, etc. I am also invited to a special cigar tasting event in which Cain Daytona Limitada 7×70 (cigar created especially for the race car enthusiasts) is going to be introduced and Oliva G is going to be tasted tomorrow. I am thinking about attending the event next year, not to drive but watch.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
So, the race brought something good to you! Great.
The large building seen near the track, three rectangles, maybe 15 stories, classic architecture. Was or is that a hotel? Some handsome buildings downtown.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Recorded it, now watching it. A pretty good race by modern F1 standards (some actual place changes!).

The architecture is impressive, a pity they don't do much focus on the city.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
The large building seen near the track, three rectangles, maybe 15 stories, classic architecture. Was or is that a hotel? Some handsome buildings downtown.
1280px-Gobierno_de_Azerbaiy%C3%A1n%2C_Baku%2C_Azerbaiy%C3%A1n%2C_2016-09-26%2C_DD_27.jpg

If you are talking about this one, it is Government House. It was right behind the pit stop.
Here are some more pictures from the city:
Maiden Tower:
ep_projekttitelbild9.jpg__850x350_q85_subsampling-2.jpg

Twin Doors (I heard that it was the most difficult corner in the circuit):
doppeltor1.jpg__500x500_q85_subsampling-2.jpg

Flame Towers:
fairmont-baku-flame-towers.png

Haydar Aliyev Center:
excursion_in_heydar_aliyev_center_650x386_gdo.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, Javan and thanks. That's the building I referred to. Same design as a couple of hotels in the states.
The Flame Towers are pretty dramatic in day time, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.