CXcxcAS.png

VQw2E3v.jpg

tssuJqO.png

oFj8vTW.png

May 31, 2012
:)

Happy day!
Thanks...
The gent with the pipes in his pocket is Fred Trueman.
Not only was Fred Trueman one of the most magnificent fast bowlers England has ever produced, he was also one of the game's greatest characters. Trueman anecdotes, many of them embellished, others simply untrue, have enlivened many a cricket-dinner speech - and will continue to do so long after his passing.
His natural ability was supported by a fearsome image and a caustic wit. One true anecdote concerns his outcry - he would not have termed it sledging - to the Warwickshire batsman Billy Ibadulla. "You've got more edges than a broken pisspot," he exclaimed. He suggested to John Arlott, half jokingly, that his biography should be called "T'definitive story of't 'finest fast bowler that ever drew breath."
The brash behaviour of his youth was uncommon in the 1950s and did not endear him to authority. But many myths built up around Trueman. He had an image as a heavy drinker, but in reality a couple of pints, some decent pipe tobacco and the chance to hold court with other cricket lovers would generally suffice. His visits to opposing dressing rooms, where he would mentally tot up the number of wickets he could expect that day, became legendary. He loved to spread fear in opposing ranks and a Roy Ulyett cartoon - in which a West Indian mother urges her children to go to sleep "or that Fred Trueman will come to get you" - gave him great delight.
He was not an easy man to captain. Supremely confident in his own ability, he insisted on centre stage. But, as well as the bravado, there was a lesser-known side. He had an abiding respect for the game, and a sound knowledge of its history. In retirement, he gained an increasingly curmudgeonly reputation. On BBC radio's Test Match Special, his complaint: "I don't know what's going off out there," often preceded by a prolonged, dissatisfied grunt, virtually became a catchphrase.

fred-trueman-1931-2006-yorkshire-and-england-cricketer-pictured-smoking-BW0B18.jpg

498763745-fred-trueman-gettyimages.jpg

Here he is with a massive magnum!

71367424-english-cricketer-fred-trueman-puffs-an-gettyimages.jpg

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
And Troy as you probably already know, his Tobacco of choice was St.Bruno!
Cheers,--Eric

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
And Troy as you probably already know, his Tobacco of choice was St.Bruno!
Cheers,--Eric :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, I've always liked me some of the Y' pudding!
Great story on Trueman.
I got to know the great "Hopper" as my best friend's mom married him. A true gentleman.

May 31, 2012
...origins in Yorkshire?
No,

I'm from the south, Georgia, hillbilly on my mommas side and mill workers on my daddies side.
Alot of the stereotypes typical of American southerners seem to get applied in much the same way to English northern folk over there, it's upside down with the sophisticated elite living in London instead of NYC...
I had never heard of Yorkshire Day until seeing that Sammy Smith special issue ale, then looked it up.
A very fine man named Jim from North Yorkshire holds a special place in my heart though,

he so kindly sent me some St. Bruno Flake along with some Warrior Plug and a whole new world opened up,

he's a real gem.
A gentle soul and a bright spot of humanity.
:puffy:

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Sorry misterlowercase, I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't questioning your origins, but the origins of Yorkshire Pudding. I would guess it began in Yorkshire, don't know for sure.

Blue collar southerner here myself, but like you, I enjoy some of the finer things in life, well at least the ones I can afford.... :lol:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
You can tell from the meme photo that Fiery Fred wasn't a fan of huge caking in his pipes. Appears a member of the "thin coating of carbon" school.

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
http://www.tellyads.com/play_advert/?filename=VA0513&advertiser=St%20Bruno&type=vintage
Troy, this is for you brother, not sure you can watch it from here, but look it up, you will be glad you did!
Cheers,--Eric :)

Status
Not open for further replies.