PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Stopped at The Container Store today and picked up some of THESE . I got several of the 12oz ones, which hold a 50g tin of tobacco fluffed up with room to spare (probably could hold 2 tins worth if I packed it in a little bit denser). Also got one of the 25oz ones, which I'm using for the bulk blend I get from my B&M. 4oz loosely fluffed came about 2/3 the way up, so probably could hold 8oz if filled to the brim and slightly packed. Nice thing about these vs the other jars I've seen is the opening is big enough to get my whole hand inside. I printed some 1 1/2 x 2 1/2" labels and covered them with a strip of clear package sealing tape to keep from smearing the ink. These jars are pricier than some others but I think worth it, and Container Store sells replacement seals online.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Shutterbug
Thanks for posting the link
I vaguely remember seeing them at the store but couldn't tell why they would be any better than mason jars?

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I've tried those rubber seal jars, with the lever fulcrum closure mechanism, before for storing tobacco, and they're fine for short term storage. But I've had tabac dry out at the end of a year in them. They're far inferior compared to glass Ball jars with the screw top ring and separate sealing plate. In those tabac will last indefinitely. I like the look of the former, but they really don't perform for long term storage.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
The ones at Ikea are better because they use Silicone as opposed to rubber for the seals. Cheap as well, and have the look that you are after.
Shutterbug

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I've got one of these for my frankenblend (the leftovers of tins and pouches that i combine together, im hoping the word "Frakenblend" catches on lol) but I stick to regular mason jars for jarring.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I have several of the IKEA version (unfortunately, they seem to have switched over to rubber instead of silicone), and I also like them for short-to-medium-term storage. I've only been smoking for just under a year now, and I don't currently have the space for long-term storage, so they're perfectly adequate. I'll be curious to see how they perform long-term - I've used swing-top bottles with rubber seals for long-term mead storage (up to 5 years), and so far have not yet had a properly inspected rubber washer fail (though after long-term storage, they may stick when you finally open the bottle, and should not be re-used if there's visible tearing, wear, or cracking).

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
+1 shayde on the Frankenblend
This picture is from a post I put up a couple weeks ago. My "Frankenberry": 2 oz. of Hobbit's Weed, 2 oz. of Strawberry Fields and 2oz. of Carter Hall. Mason Jar of course.
frankenjar.jpg

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
If I buy a number of tins to save on shipping, I open them one at a time and put the contents into one of these jars to be smoked in a month or two tops. Unless I was expecting a favorite blend to be discontinued, or expecting a zombie apocalypse I wouldn't buy so much I'd need to store it for years. But in those cases then I would agree a Mason jar would be the way to go.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
They're far inferior compared to glass Ball jars with the screw top ring and separate sealing plate
I'm glad I read this thread, I've been buying those spring-shut glass jars like shutterbugg linked exclusively! Now, I know what is meant with the ball jars and screw top, but what is this separate sealing plate business?

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
The screw top lid is two pieces: a plate (the flat part) and the screw top which is just the ring. Better seal.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
There is nothing wrong with the bail top jars. It's just that the red rubber seals can dry out. But depending on how old the jars are when you buy them, and the initial quality of the rubber, those seals could last for many years. Silicone replacement seals are available, too.
The only problems with them are really my problems: They take up too much room and they are more expensive than canning jars.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The Container Store sells replacement seals online for those jars @ $6 to $8 per dozen. And I have a feeling they are silicone rubber. Just because they are orange doesn't mean they aren't silicone rubber. Natural rubber would be more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.