Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe acquisition disorder, or PAD, keeps Forums online, since our sponsors support Forums to sell pipes (and tobacco). So I don't want to discourage pipe purchases, however there is a point in a stable of pipes, or the fluctuations of a budget, when it is good to take time out from buying pipes. Here are a few of my techniques. What are yours? 1) Buy tobacco instead. This works from time to time, but I also have some years supply of blends, with more on the way. 2) Clean the pipes you have. This impresses you with all of the tools you have to smoke and may re-introduce you to pipes you'd almost forgotten you have. 3) Take a cold shower. 4) If you have quite a few pipes, pick out a rotation of seven and smoke those in rotation, so when you get back to the others, it will seem like you have a whole new selection. So how do you evade PAD?

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Well, generally lack of funds takes care of that. :D I did recently buy my first pipes in about 3 years. But, I do not tend to have a desire to buy more pipes at this point because I have "enough." Yes, you really can get to that point. :)

Reactions: PadrePiper887

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
Recently your first option has been my go to. Every spare dime I had has been going to filling out my cellar with only the occasional bout of PAD striking when a deal just couldn't be passed up.
I did just find a good deal on an estate Savinelli Punto Oro I couldn't pass up but other than that and the Army Mount Peterson I bought a few months ago for a song I haven't struggled with PAD much recently.
Going forward I think I'll combat PAD and TAD by picking out a blend I enjoy and loading up a favorite pipe out of my rotation and sitting back to appreciate all the wonderful pipes and tobaccos I already own. I'll try the cold shower option you provided if that fails me :puffy:

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
As I've said many times now, I've been involved in many different hobbies over the years and it's amazing how similar they all are. Every hobby has it's version of PAD.
Me personally, I approach all my hobbies in a closed way, that is, I have a set number of things in the collection and improve the collection, rather than expand the collection. My avatar is one of my hobbies.
For pipes, I've been on an 18 month break and just got started back into it. My set up now is a nice hardwood pipe rack that holds 7 pipes, so I have 7 pipes.
I just finished buying my 7th pipe last week, all Savinelli's. From here, I may upgrade one or more pipes (I'd like to find an unsmoked Mr. G), but I'll get rid of one at the same time, so the number will remain at 7.
Since I have several hobbies, if I have a PAD attack, I have several different outlets and collections to improve. It doesn't necessarily have to be pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My family and a friend or two, and a Forums member, have gifted me with pipes that have filled my racks and cabinet, so that has kept me busy with the pipes I own, without depriving the industry of business, on my behalf if not directly through my purchases.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I scratch the itch with a new pipe!

I have to continuously expand my holdings just to keep pace with Mrs. Cortez (aka Shoe Lady). :rofl:

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
<p>Wait it out. After a day or two, my PAD usually fades. That said, I haven't got enough pipes. Only 6 in rotation plus one designated for 1792 flake. So I can still justify some PAD

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
mso489 - whenever I see a pipe that peaks my interest, for whatever reason, grain, shape, brand etc, I review the pipes in my collection that smoke very well. I then compare the specs of the pipe I am interested in with those I know to be winners. If the one of interest does not match up with most of the measurements etc, I try very hard to avoid adding the pipe to my collection. I often fail in controlling my "lust". In most cases I should have trusted my method to avoid adding the pipe to my collection though. So as Vernon Vig once spoke at a Seattle Pipe Club meeting ..... "I've bought lots of expensive pipes .... which I sold for a lot less than I paid".
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
I approach PAD a bit differently, because I'm a smoker, an estate refurbisher, and a collector. I have those I smoke (maybe 70% of my pipes), with the rest being dust-collectors simply because I like the pipe...but may or may never smoke it. The number of pipes I've got has increased over the last few years with very little out-of-pocket funds...because I buy and sell so many pipes. For instance...I'll buy a lot of 10 for the purpose of repairing/refurbishing...get them done and sell them...and the proceeds allows me to pocket some slush fund as well as often keeping one of the 10, essentially at no cost except for my own work. So...it's been really easy to add pipes that I like...too easy in fact. That said...my overall collection has crept to something over 200 (I'm sure a number of you can squash that number)...and I've never actually set a 'limit'. However, it seems unreasonable that I'd simply continue increasing the herd without measure; self-control kicks in. I'm currently looking to thin my numbers, and can easily find them new homes since I sell online as well as at pipe shows. But I know that I'll also add one here and there.
Speaking of PAD...I'm currently buying estates in small groups from a guy managing an estate up north (yep...for the purpose of refurbishing / flipping); the gent had collected about 3,000 pipes. I can tell you that about 75% of the ones I've bought had been smoked...though none heavily. Previously, I'd bought pipes from a woman whose elderly father (still living) had built his pipe collection up to between 4000-5000 pipes. And again...the majority of those I've bought (which is something between 100-125 pipes out of that collection) had been smoked to a lesser or greater degree. The old guy decided to start collecting stamps and other things...time for the pipes to bring he and his daughter some money.
Some guys have 7 pipes and it's enough...some let their PAD help increase their pipe farm to 200...and some on into the thousands. Interested to hear from more of you...and how many pipes you actually have.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mine finally ran its course. Nothing but tobacco buys from now on. Just over 150 here and only a fraction of those get used.

Skapie

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2017
NSW, Australia
The one pipe I had my eye on from a local pipe carver just got marked “SOLD”, and not in my favour. So that sort of deals with the issue for me.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5000? I have about 5 currently, and that's more than enough for my needs and wants. I tend to have pipes that have some sort of significace to me; I have birth year pipes from myself and my parents. I still have space for that 2015 Peterson Christmas pipe that I missed out on. Christmas 2015 is when we found out we were having our second child.
I just don't have the room for more than that!
I do like that some folks just buy more tobacco to offset a pipe. TAD>PAD

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
I have a very simple way of avoiding PAD, TAD, or any other type of surplus or luxury expenditure. This method is really important in this age of internet and television and the constant bombardment of advertising. Here it is: Don't look, and don't window shop. Get rid of your television. If you like movies or other "seasons" shows, get Netflix or Amazon Prime, where there are no advertisements. As for pipes, don't look at the latest offers or sales. Only look or window shop when you have the funds and are ready to buy. Want what you have, not what you don't have.

Reactions: PadrePiper887

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
joeman, I have about 60 pipes. I smoke quite a few bowls throughout the week and use around 24 pipes a week. Even at that, have a few pipes I almost never use. Want to use most of my pipes at least twice monthly. Am of the school of thought that 1 should never have so many pipes that they don't get used at least once per month. 5000 pipes-yikes, with that many each pipe might get smoked once every 5+ years.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have a 1981 Brigham and a 1950 Peterson that needs some polishing/refinishing.
Here's a pic of them both together
p_20180305_135449-600x337.jpg

Jul 12, 2011
The only thing that saves me from PAD is that on every Mon and Thur SP does not have anything that catches my eye...otherwise I'm doomed :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have right around 70 pipes. I smoke most of them at some point during a month of smoking 4-5 bowls a day. When I look at an estate or new pipe it has to fit my strict criteria of what types of pipes I buy. I have a certain price threshold that I adhere to and that puts plenty of pipes I might like out of the game.
At this point I have no more space for any new pipes unless I buy another rack and I don't feel like doing that. I look at tons of pipes almost every day but so far I have my PAD under control. Now TAD that is a different story for a different thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.