PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Curious question for the more experienced pipe smokers. What is the average amount of tobacco you purchase at a time? 4 oz? 1 lb?

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
For me, about $50 to $100 although lately it has been more as I've been buying aged or rare blends. I'm too old to bet that I'll be around to enjoy tobaccos that have been cellared for ten years.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Online, I deal almost exclusively with Pipes & Cigars. They ship free on orders of $99 or more, and coincidentaly, my current TAD budget is $100/month. Sometimes I go over by a couple bucks, but not often. Depending on what I am buying, of course, that $100 will yield a wildly varying amount of tobacco. Dunhill tins? Much less. Peter Stokkebye bulks on a crazy-ass sale? Much more.
Almost forgot to add, I still pop into my local B&M's once in a while, but affordable tobacco is getting thin on the ground there. I also spend a few bucks here and there on PA or CH at my local grocery store.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
I made a $600 TAD order in Feb to start my cellar off. Now I try to make 1 order every 1.5 to 2 months of $100 or so to get free shipping. I try to wait for sales and purchase tins/loose in bulk. Lately I have been ordering with the tobacco crawl's and adding items to hit free shipping. Plus I stop at the local B&M and get an occasional tin and I must admit I get suckered in on notification alerts too lately. I only smoke a few bowls a day so whatever I am doing my cellar is getting bigger and not smaller and most importantly the wife is not complaining.....too much.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've bought in pound quantities but find that my inclination toward trying new and various blends makes that a bad choice. Jars of tobacco can sit around for years while I smoke other blends bought in smaller quantities. I buy an occasional step ladder of blends, which suits my sampling habit, and I'll buy a selection of several blends I choose myself. But buying pounds of tobacco, or stacks of tins, doesn't work for me. I'm a moderate smoker who enjoys variety. Especially new pipe smokers should keep the quantities of any one blend small, even if they want to order a number of different blends, since their tastes will change and develop. Likewise, I'm always delighted to get free shipping when I happen to order a pipe or two and a blend or three, but I categorically never jack up my purchase to get the free shipping. That "buy more to save" notion just doesn't work for me. As it is, I have more pipes than anyone needs and enough blends to last for years to come.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Well for me back in the hay day (when I had money, good lord that seems like a long time ago, lol ) I was spending on average about $80-$100 about 4-5 times a day with various 1-3 tins in between from local B&M's... in the last 3-4 years its been super minimal with buying maybe 5-6 tins a year... Ive basically been living off of my cellar I had accumulated over the last many many years.

Hopefully, now that things are turning around, in the next year or two I can get back to stocking up the way I used to

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
I just go above the free shipping threshold. No more, no less. This saves $$ and keeps me under control too.

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
My tobacco orders would be a good deal less if I didn't keep adding a pipe at check out, ah well :puffy:

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I too usually just barely go over the free-shipping threshold like Stanlaurel and Aldecaker...and I usually only purchase sale items. I have enough open right now to have the luxury of waiting for my wish list to go on sale. Like June's Dunhill sale over at P&C. I waited about 4 months and saved some dough in that time and bought quite a bit and SAVED quite a bit as it was a buy3get1free sale. Rarely do you ever find savings better than 25% off for baccy.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I always spend $100 minimum in order to get free shipping. Plus during the holidays last year P&C had a spend $250 get 20% off your order. I'm trying to hold off till then since I made an order this week. (Hey I went 2 months since my last order. That's the longest time in between since I started). :clap:

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
So far, online I buy from smokingpipes exclusively, and build the order to get free shipping after $95. That got me ten tins of tobacco and a pack of pipe cleaners (I was 10 cents short without the cleaners) this last time. Since I'm still exploring, I only order small tins. Eventually, I'll get larger tins of favorites, along with small tins of untried blends. I'm thinking again that I need another pipe. But I need tobacco more than another pipe, so I'll probably go with another 10 tin order soon to get a stash underway.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Since I just started smoking in May I've been spending about $100 per month. Started with some cobs and tobacco and now mainly tobacco. Last order was some bulk varieties since Peter Stokkebye was on sale at pipes and cigars and some tins for the cellar. And always pipe cleaners

Status
Not open for further replies.