PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeshark

Might Stick Around
Oct 7, 2012
Az
So I wanted to throw this out there to see if I am alone in this. I bought a tin of C&D Autumn Evening few months back and tried it out but experienced a nasty chalking of the tongue and a terrible throat scratch. I put the tin in the back of my baccy closet and moved on for awhile. Decided to give it another try this afternoon after about two months, and I am starting to get the same feelings again. To give the tobacco the benefit of the doubt I broke out a meer for it today that is known to be an EXTREMELY tolerant pipe regarding all different kinds of tobacco, so I am reasonably confident it is not a pipe issue. Could it be a body chemistry issue? Anyone else had problems like this with this blend or another? Just a curiosity really I suppose...

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I received a sample from from Hawk... and I personally really liked it... in fact I have added this blend to my TAD list.
What exactly do you mean by "chalking" on the tongue?

pipeshark

Might Stick Around
Oct 7, 2012
Az
Hmmmm... Just a dried out feeling with like a "sick" film. Like when you have a bad cold and your tongue gets a coat on it. That in itself is tolerable.. I is the scratchy throat that gets me. Kind of like when you smoke a burley too fast... Or at least when I do lol..

Jul 12, 2011
It is very "sweet" blend, I find sometimes this combination and taking

larger puffs then puts smoke too far back in the mouth/into throat

causing you the scratchy/soar throat feel...as for the film, it could

be a reaction to the blend, really give it some dry time/very moist

in the tin...and make sure you try and smoke it in a larger bowl

if you can....

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Body chemistry is my assumption. I love the blend. I assume it was dry enough? there would be plenty of people that would take it off your hands if you want.

pipeshark

Might Stick Around
Oct 7, 2012
Az
Could be. My money is on body chemistry as well. Really a shame because I can get the taste, the room note is awesome, and my beard smells like maple for hours. Just makes my throat angry. :evil:

pipeshark

Might Stick Around
Oct 7, 2012
Az
Oh yea... I thought it may have been the moisture the first time and the hope was that cellering it for a couple months would solve that. Before today's bowl I let it sit for a spell and it was as perfect as I had ever seen baccy as far as moisture goes... Just a chemistry thing I suppose...

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Pipeshark I'm bothered a little by this blend too. Johnnyxpipe was nice enough to send me some but I get this nasty metallic taste down my tongue and my whole mouth reacts like it does with Burleys.
It burns well, I'm not puffing like a fiend, it just bothers me from the first light. I've never finished a bowl.
Which is why I'm glad he swapped samples before I bought a tin.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
I picked up a tin of this along with a tin of Town Topic after reading the Maple thread. Popped the Town Topic first. As soon as I'm done with that I'll be popping the Autumn Evening, I'll be looking out for any strange reactions to this blend. Town Topic btw is awesome.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Cellaring may not be your best option. I had a tin of Peterson Special Reserve from 2004 that bit my toungue and cooked my mouth worse than anything. What I did was let it dry out until the tobacco was almost crispy. Smokes much easier now, although it will burn fast, lol. I like the flavor much better, too.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
It is a Red Virginia Cavendish (very smooth) and flavored with Maple. It is one of my favorites, too. I suggest you allow some drying time for your next try as it is quite moist out of the tin. And, try a very rested pipe for it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Maybe you have a bad reaction to red Virginia's like cigrmaster. I understand that he gets a fierce reaction to red va's

pipeshark

Might Stick Around
Oct 7, 2012
Az
Thanks for all the comments everybody. I was lucky enough to find a friend who was curious about it so at least it will make someone happy. Lol. I am eager to try town topic (tin sitting in the baccy cabinet awaiting the occasion) and have never had any experience with any blend like I did with that one. I am mainly a Latakia boy so it may indeed be those red Virginia's, but I am not yet experienced enough baccy wise to be sure. All I know is that it did not like me and it was too too bad.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
All of the talk on this blend has pushed me over the edge! LOL. I sure hope when mine arrives I don't have an adverse reaction the the red Va

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I like this blend and smoke it often. To me, it's mellow and smooth with no tongue bite when I smoke it slow.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
Autumn Evening is very moist in the tin. Just allow a bowl full to dry for an hour and then smoke it. It is a wonerful blend.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Status
Not open for further replies.