PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
It seems too me that quite a few folks on this site love Authors. What is it about that shape and it's smoking qualities set it apart for you? I see they tend to have quite large thick bowls and rather wide mouth pieces. I'm asking because I am contemplating one at the moment.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Bulldog and Rhodesian shapes are very popular and the Author is a pretty close relation to both. They are usually smaller pipes (which appeals to me) and they fit the hand nicely. Despite their overall small size, the bowl is decent, so they yield a long-ish smoke. But for myself, it is primarily those curves!

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I was about to type "Authors are to squat and fat for my skinny face"...Then I looked over at a big ass Castello 55.
I guess Authors just aren't my thing...but I love Rhodesians!

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Well, I think most people have their image of the author as tied to the sav 320. I have one. Visually, the shape is interesting but where it really shines is in the hand. The shape, size and balance work together to make for a really comfortable and deceptively large pipe.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
If it seems like you're seeing more of them this year, it might be because it's the shape for the KC Carving Competition and every carver in the country is doing more of them trying to get that perfect pipe for the competition. I think I've made 6 or 7 this year...A very fun shape to make!

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
It funny you ask that question. I was thinking the same thing so I ordered one to find out.

Savinelli%20Spring%20320%20KS.jpg

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I agree with Bigpond.
The shape is a wonderful one to hold, and is also surprisingly easy to clench. I've built up a nice little collection of Authors over the last 24 months and if I'm not careful I may end up with a seven day rotation of them.
To Zack's point, there are plenty of Authors on the market at the moment as carvers prep for the GKCPS so that's helping folks get good long looks at them.
Here are some of mine...
Alden Olive

Brigham 7 Dot

Kaywoodie 13b & Brigham 3 Dot

Edward's

-- Pat

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I like big bowls and I cannot lie... :D
As noted by others, they're surprisingly good clenchers - not nearly as heavy as one might assume. The chamber is nice and roomy, so you can sit down with a good book and have plenty of time to read before having to refill. I've got large hands, and the bowl fits nicely - YMMV. And finally, it's a very aesthetically pleasing shape, at least to my eyes. I've got 2 now, and will likely be adding another (or several) in the future.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
My sentiments are the same as SS Jones'. I love the design, it clenches well, and wide bowls are better for picking out nuances in more complex blends. I like pipes with round bowls in general. They look good and feel good in your hand.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have slightly trimmer versions of the author -- a Peterson rusticated, a Luciano, and a Dr. Grabow Ruff-Tone. I like them all, but especially for the good wide bowl that brings up the best in blends with five or six different tobaccos, to give them a chance to expand fully with flavor. Also, none of mine is extra-heavy, so I like the balance between really ample bowls and not being a tooth breaker. Some of the chubby ones seem to be heavy for their size.

Status
Not open for further replies.